Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

You can use Siri on your HomePod to access your messages, notes, and reminders, all of which are what Apple calls Personal Requests. As a rule, these only work when the device that was used to set up HomePod is connected to the same local network, which Siri interprets to mean that you're home.

HomePod-2-and-Mini-feature-1.jpg

If the option is enabled, Siri can also recognize your voice so it knows that it's you if a personal request is made. That's nice to know, but you might just not want personal requests features enabled on your HomePod for security reasons.

If you're already using your HomePod, you may recall being asked during the setup process whether or not you'd like to enable Personal Requests. Regardless of what you selected during setup, you can turn Personal Requests on and off from your iPhone or iPad whenever you like. Here's how to do it.
Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Disable Personal Requests on HomePod

Last edited:

SupaDav03

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2015
Some things people worry about are funny. I have no fear of someone else, guest or resident, asking Siri to read my notes, messages or reminders via HomePod. Who are you living with or inviting into your home that this is a concern?

Reactions: Hans_J

prspectiv2

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Some things people worry about are funny. I have no fear of someone else, guest or resident, asking Siri to read my notes, messages or reminders via HomePod. Who are you living with or inviting into your home that this is a concern?

Children are mischievous.

“Siri, tell my wife to pick up pizza on the way home.”

“Siri, tell my husband the kids are staying over Tommy’s house tonight.”

Vasilioskn

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
New York

People live with roommates , grandparents, yiung kids. Friends come over sometimes , with acquaintances. Privacy
is sometimes important.

SupaDav03

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2015
Children are mischievous.

“Siri, tell my wife to pick up pizza on the way home.”

“Siri, tell my husband the kids are staying over Tommy’s house tonight.”

I have 4 kids and still don’t find this an issue. It may happen once in a blue moon but my kids would never do it again. Not common place enough to be a “concern”

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
I have 4 kids and still don’t find this an issue. It may happen once in a blue moon but my kids would never do it again. Not common place enough to be a “concern”

Kind of a specific example but I currently live with my ex as we sort out sale of the home, etc. Wouldn't want them to be able to ask a Homepod to read my texts.

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
Personal requests don't work at all unless the iOS device associated with the HomePod is connected to the local network.
Does the HomePod only associate with a single iOS Device? I don't carry my iPad Pro out often, so would that still allow Personal Requests when I'm not home? And I use my iPad for Home/HomeKit setup more often, so should I avoid setting up a HP with my iPad so that it disables Personal Requests when I leave the house with my iPhone?

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
Kind of a specific example but I currently live with my ex as we sort out sale of the home, etc. Wouldn't want them to be able to ask a Homepod to read my texts.

It will only read un-read texts. I’ve tried asking it to read my texts/read my latest texts and in both cases Siri responded with “there are no new texts”

Reactions: EedyBeedyBeeps

Hans_J

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2017
NYC
Same here dude, I'm right there with you.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Can I disable this remotely?

Sam

Personal requests don't work at all unless the iOS device associated with the HomePod is connected to the local network.

That doesn't answer Sam's question. Let's ask this a different way. Let's say Sam sets up HomePod using his iPhone 7. Sam is out at work and a few long term colleagues of his have talked up a good chill night and he's offered to host and their game right after work (coming home with him). Sam could be annoyed with texts by a recent ex or maybe looking for a new place of employment that pays more ... yet wishes to keep such things personal and private.

So can Sam disable "Personal Requests" from his iPhone 7 on the walk home with colleagues vs waiting to get home and then disabling after a few minutes of opening up the host duties: drinks, quick orderves, glasses of water etc.

Don't you think that location arrow is a UI error?

At first glance it does but hey HomePod is 'located' in your Home ... so using a location arrow seems somewhat relevant. Yet not as inuitive as a specific identifiable listing.

People live with roommates , grandparents, yiung kids. Friends come over sometimes , with acquaintances. Privacy
is sometimes important.

Agreed. What you're saying is pure oldschool .... "don't do your laundry in public" ;)

Either you've beaten the crap out of your kids for doing things rude/wrong - like many parents born in the early 50's or earlier with their kids. Or your kids have no friends to show them new tricks and how to test their limits with you their parent. ;) lol.

All joking aside they maybe too young or not savvy but sooner or later they may figure out something to help them get an edge. Wait until iPhone upgrade time comes along ;)

Example:
Grade 6 First term of Mathematics I got a D, which actually was a shock to me. Term papers needed to be signed by a parent and brought back to school so the teacher knew parents acknowledge them (early 80's). I learned how to cursive write both my parents signatures before I was 12; pin-point accurately where they both had a discussion and questioned themselves before determining it was indeed me. I should've had my hide teared open (spanked) but they took it as a valuable lesson and learned to do 2 separate signatures (legal and financial different from basic needs such as parental papers). I was heavily warned. But it's just one of many ways kids learn outside the box to get an edge once in a while.

So never underestimate or over estimate your children. I'm glad you know them well. Cheers.

tennisproha

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2011
Texas

homepodtopview-250x203.jpg
You can use Siri on your HomePod to access your messages, notes, and reminders, all of which are what Apple calls Personal Requests. As a rule, these only work when the device that was used to set up HomePod is connected to the same local network, which Siri interprets to mean that you're home.

That's nice to know, but it doesn't account for the fact that anyone within earshot of HomePod can still make personal requests to services synced to your iCloud account. That's not so good news if you share your living space with others, or invite guests over to stay, for example.

If you're already using your HomePod, you may recall being asked during the setup process whether or not you'd like to enable Personal Requests. Regardless of what you selected during setup, you can turn Personal Requests on and off from your iPhone or iPad whenever you like. Here's how to do it.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Disable Personal Requests on HomePod
Why is this an issue? I thought Siri could differentiate between voices? That's the whole point of setting up "Hey Siri"

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
How long until we get voice recognition that can recognize if the account owner is the person actually speaking?

Why is this an issue? I thought Siri could differentiate between voices? That's the whole point of setting up "Hey Siri"

Siri can differentiate between voices. If I ask Siri to read my unread messages, mine are read. If my wife asks, hers are read. Doesn’t matter which speaker is asked.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
It will only read un-read texts. I’ve tried asking it to read my texts/read my latest texts and in both cases Siri responded with “there are no new texts”

Try asking Siri to read texts from Rumpelstiltskin (anyone who has texted you). Siri will read three or four recent texts and then ask if you want to here more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.