How to disable Safari's warning when I open downloaded files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nightfly13, Sep 18, 2009.

1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I guess it's a change with Snow Leopard, but now when I download a .nzb file and try to open it I get the warning message that it's 'an unknown application downloaded from the Internet' (which, of course, it is not) and I have to manually open that. A .nzb file is not an app, but an executable file (launches NZB Drop, for me). The fact is I don't think I've ever had the message fire and not want to open it. I'd prefer to just disable it all together.

Please no moralizing on nzb files, I enjoy reading news, ok :)

2. dogen macrumors newbie

I'll heartily second that request. I'd really really like to disable the irritating warnings. If I liked them I'd use a Microsoft product.

Even so, if Apple is going to enable a tiresome annoyance, the least it can do is let users turn the bloody alerts off. I for one have hands often on the edge of repetitive strain problems. The last thing I need is to be forced to continually click OK boxes unnecessary to begin with. Grrr.

3. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

After searching Mac Rumors and posting, I posted this thread subject's question into google and tried the top 2-3 options. One says look for an action script and remove it (wasn't there anymore in Snow Leopard) and another has me apply a line of javascript into the downloads folder (made no difference) so I'm still stuck.

Insight would be great!

4. omni-impotent macrumors newbie

I totally agree with you! I have same problems with .nzb files. One time I thought I had started downloading a very large news file and then went out for dinner with my girlfriend. I suggested coming back to mine afterwards to read some news together for a few hours but then I realised the download was stuck at the warning dialog. Needless to say, she was not impressed. :p

Anyway, I have read of disabling this feature completely but could be dangerous. I think the most elegant solution is to setup a script scanning the download folder for .nzb files and removing the warning for just those files.

I will see if I can find anything or write my own script. If you hear something, can you let me know? :) Cheers

5. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Sorry to hear about how this issue had a negative impact on your love life :)

Reading news together can be very bonding :)

So yeah, I think I've tried both of the methods you mentioned - they're for older versions of Safari/Leopard. At least they didn't make any difference for me.

I'll keep spamming here in case someone has a solution..

6. Jamesthatcher macrumors member

**** man disaster

7. omni-impotent macrumors newbie

Ok. After reading through many pages, the best solution (at least for me) is to setup an automator folder action. The key is to use the still functioning terminal command "xattr -d com.apple.quarantine <filename>" to disable this annoying download warning message.

An example can be found here: http://henrik.nyh.se/2007/10/lift-the-leopard-download-quarantine but I found it didn't work so well on 10.6. All I did was make an automator folder action attached to my ~/Downloads folder with the terminal command:

Code:
    find ~/Downloads -name *.nzb -exec xattr -d com.apple.quarantine {} \;
    This finds all files with the extension .nzb and removes the quarantine tag. Hope that helps. :)

8. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

MacPilot has an option to turn off the "Downloaded from some website" dialogue. I'm not sure if this works for the OP.. I have tried using the hidden option within Leopard and that worked fine but I haven't tried it yet on Snow Leopard. MacPilot is shareware though. But I think it has a 14 day trial.

9. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Hmm is the automator action something that has to be done just once or something you have to do regularly. Often I want to start the NZB I just DL'd immediately - and that's where the extra click is annoying.

Funny to think how much energy we've spent talking about fixing this - that would have been like a years worth of clicking the dialog box. :)

10. omni-impotent macrumors newbie

haha I have to admit, I have spent a few hours reading and thinking about it. However, a few hours now compared to a lifetime of clicking away the annoying prompt and possibly getting RSI from this due to my large multi-monitor setup. This is combined with the fact that apple quarantine stopped me from getting laid once and so I promised it will never do it again. Not on my watch. Not to anyone else either. Who's with me??!?? *ahem*

Anyway, the above folder action automator is called automatically when a new file appears in the ~/Downloads directly. So once it is set up, it will do everything automatically without you having to manually run it.

A minor question remains if this works for large .nzb files that take awhile to download as well. I will test this for Firefox and Snow Leopard tonight. If that is the case, I will add the waiting for file to finish downloading to the automator script and post it here.

Thanks. :)

11. dogen macrumors newbie

Can you be more specific about how to ditch the warning in MacPilot?

12. dogen macrumors newbie

Apologies, forgot to quote the relevant post:

How is this done?

13. levytv macrumors newbie

well im sorry if this is two years late - but in macpilot on the left you scroll down to system and there is a dialogue to check to disable the annoying warning.