How to disable screensaver / locking desktop depending on connected Wi-Fi network?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BeyondtheTech, Apr 25, 2011.

1. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

I've got a weird request, but you might understand why.

My MacBook Air is normally protected with a screensaver that also locks the OS rather quickly to prevent it from getting stolen or accessed while I'm away.

But, when I'm home, I don't want that feature enabled, as I'm obviously in a more secured location and I can feel comfortable walking away, or if I need my wife/kids need to surf on it or something.

Is there a way to change certain System Preferences such as these, depending on your location and what access point you're connected to? I don't want it time-based, since my schedule is all over the place.

Thanks in advance.

2. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

There's an App/software called 'Caffeine' in the Mac App Store. Download it (I think it should be free, if not, around $0.99). When enabled, click on the coffee icon on the mac bar at the top and your laptop/desktop will never go to sleep, regardless of what you're doing and settings preferences. Just set it to auto-start when you log into your desktop and whenever you're at home, click it to stop it from going to sleep (when the cup is lit brown/full) and unclick it when you're out and about. I always use it and it is very convenient. :)