How to Disable Sleep Mode?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by schwine1, Apr 22, 2011.

1. schwine1 macrumors regular

How is the Sleep Mode disabled in the Mac Pro Tower?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Why do you want to disable it? Why can't you turn it off ( :apple: > Shut Down)?

3. schwine1 thread starter macrumors regular

I have an anti-virus program running for several hours and the only way to keep it going is to disable the sleep mode. I also have Windows 7 through VMware, and the virus program checks this OS in particular for virus problems.

I have been able to disable the Mac screen saver but not the Mac sleep mode.
    I'm not sure if this can be done, and as a result, the virus program stops working when the computer is in sleep mode.

4. schwine1 thread starter macrumors regular

I've found it now.
    It's under Energy Saver in System Preferences.

5. simsaladimbamba

Ah, I misunderstood.
    Btw:
    There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.

Mac Virus/Malware Info

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can use Caffeine to temporarily override your Energy Saver settings, with a single mouse click. And as has already been stated, you don't need anti-virus software to protect your Mac from malware. Read the Virus/Malware link that simsaladimbamba posted.

7. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Go to "System Preferences -> Energy Saver" and slide the computer sleep slider to "Never". The system should now never go to sleep unless you tell it to.