Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
Well, I just updated to el capitan GM, and to my surprise, apple has done another of those steps which are great for 90% of users and extremely terrible for me and those in the 5% that know what they are doing...

Long story short: I can not change location of apple apps to another folders, I have to keep them in the root folder of the applications folder, I can not anymore change safari permissions so I can move it to a folder called "Internet" inside the applications folder...

Disk Utility has changed too, and repair permissions is now gone!!!! WTF??????

I´m sure I´m missing something, and you guys know how to disable all this new apple mess. Please let me know how to do it or send me a link!!!

I knew it is stupid to update to any new OSX version until 2-3 months of the standard release. In fact, this time, I managed not to install any beta until GM was released... How naive I have been again....

System Integrity Protection also blocks Xtrafinder!!!!!

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
thnak you so much for the explanation, clear and simple.

After that i will try to fix why my mouse wheel scrolling speed has been changed to 30 times slower...

Well, as expected, I have no recovery partition. It goes to internet recovery, which seems to take to boot the same time as a 2gb download or so...

Can I do this procedure from either a bootable usb drive? can I make a El Capitan usb bootable drive (I already have a usd drive with a partition with one of these with maverick, and another one for Yosemite, I could make a third one or replace the one of mavericks... ).

Thanks in advance!!

I bet in less than 48 hours I´m back on 10.10.4...

BTW, I´m a RAID 0, if that makes a difference. Thanks again!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
solved by creating a usb bootable partition of el capitan gm, booting from it, and using that command in the terminal

BTW, now when i boot pressing alt key, to see the available drives, i see two ssd drives, one called Mac RAID (the name given to this RAID = setup) and another drive with the same name and a number two after it...

weird...

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
yes yes, sure sure...

Fixed the issue as explained, then I got a kernel panic in every boot and computer crashed...

Problem solved in about 30 minutes: drived wiped, yosemite installed, time machine migrated, Back to Yosemite. I said 48 hours and I have been in Capitan for less than 60 minutes, LOL

What a big piece of **** this new apple, truly amazing.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
yes yes, sure sure...

Fixed the issue as explained, then I got a kernel panic in every boot and computer crashed...

Problem solved in about 30 minutes: drived wiped, yosemite installed, time machine migrated, Back to Yosemite. I said 48 hours and I have been in Capitan for less than 60 minutes, LOL

What a big piece of **** this new apple, truly amazing.
And what a big surprise for the 95% of us who don't know what we are doing, yet have El Capitan up and running smooth as ever.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So many changes are intended. And system integrity protection is the latest security feature in El Capitan
Glad to see you can stick to Yosemite. I can't. And Yosemite is way worse than El Capitan, in many ways.

Reactions: Lolito

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
And what a big surprise for the 95% of us who don't know what we are doing, yet have El Capitan up and running smooth as ever.

You guys have everything running smooth from beta sub zero... Since tiger... hehe. I will do like the pro's and upgrade in 10.11.2 or 3

I can also have a machine running smoothly for facebook use, just like you guys. That is easy.

So many changes are intended. And system integrity protection is the latest security feature in El Capitan
Glad to see you can stick to Yosemite. I can't. And Yosemite is way worse than El Capitan, in many ways.

Indeed, Yosemite is **** and always was. Sure most people said it's so much better than mavericks...

Problem is that if you have a raid like me -> no recovery partition -> you gottat remove system integrity crap via usb -> kernel panic in every boot -> no boot, at all

If this is better than Yosemite, I am queen Elisabeth II and I have a son with huge ears called Charles...

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
I will do like the pro's and upgrade in 10.11.2 or 3

Which is why you created this thread, where you "did like the pro's[sic]" and installed an OS before it's released?

I can also have a machine running smoothly for facebook use, just like you guys. That is easy.

Sure thing. Mine, which has been on El Capitan full-time for a few weeks now, is definitely only intended "for facebook use". The dozens of servers I remote into are only for show, as are the VMs. I don't need 16 GB RAM; I only bought it because it's hardcore.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
Which is why you created this thread, where you "did like the pro's[sic]" and installed an OS before it's released?

Sure thing. Mine, which has been on El Capitan full-time for a few weeks now, is definitely only intended "for facebook use". The dozens of servers I remote into are only for show, as are the VMs. I don't need 16 GB RAM; I only bought it because it's hardcore.
Lets make it clear, My setup of El Capitain is intended for ONLY MySpace use. It's not good enough for Facebook.

patternjake

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2015
Don't bother disabling rootless, there is no advantage to doing so other than exposing OS X to 0-day exploits.

Reactions: chrfr

Siannath

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Lima, Perú
solved by creating a usb bootable partition of el capitan gm, booting from it, and using that command in the terminal

BTW, now when i boot pressing alt key, to see the available drives, i see two ssd drives, one called Mac RAID (the name given to this RAID = setup) and another drive with the same name and a number two after it...

weird...
So, you created another instalation of OS X on a USB drive and booted the RecoveryOS from that USB? That's how did it?

I neither have recovery partition.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Problem is that if you have a raid like me -> no recovery partition -> you gottat remove system integrity crap via usb -> kernel panic in every boot -> no boot, at all

If this is better than Yosemite, I am queen Elisabeth II and I have a son with huge ears called Charles...

Problem is that you are using a configuration that is not supported. Don't blame Apple for your "I know what I'm doing".

Lolito

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
here
Problem is that you are using a configuration that is not supported. Don't blame Apple for your "I know what I'm doing".

Ok, so raid are not supported? well, then this is really a facebook osx

No, I did a bootable usb drive, for installing the system in several machines if needed. It is not a working installation of the system, it is just like a recovery partition, but made on a usb instead of in an internal partitions.

Don't bother disabling rootless, there is no advantage to doing so other than exposing OS X to 0-day exploits.
well, if i don't activate it, I will have all my applications folder full of stuff that i will never use, like notes, photos, maps, etc... etc... and i will not be able to move apple apps into folders. I will have to have them all together, in an endless list, just like any other facebook user here.

No thanks. I rather by exposed to exploits. I have a decent firewall setup and I normally have no problems with pishing software, spyware, etc... I have no problem with external attackers, I do have problems with Apple decisions really.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

Its very simple, really. You are buying a certain product that is promised by a manufacturer to do certain things. You are then replacing parts that are not supposed to be replaced, installing parts where they are not supposed to be installed, running the OS in the configuration not officially supported by the manufacturer, and then if it does not work, you throw a tantrum because "you know what you are doing". The thing is: Apple does not care about marginal use cases. Unsupported features can stop working at any time. You want RAID? Modern macs come with an internal SSD that is faster and much more reliable than your software RAID-0 setup. You want even more speed? Thunderbolt with an external RAID controller can give you that. Furthermore, by using expressions like "Facebook OS" you are exposing your immaturity and ignorance. Not only that, but you are insulting millions of people that productively use their Macs to do some amazing work. I understand that you are disappointed in their decisions and I respect that, but I also do not think that Apple owes you anything in this situation. If you want a customisable machine that you can play around with, go Linux.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Its very simple, really. You are buying a certain product that is promised by a manufacturer to do certain things. You are then replacing parts that are not supposed to be replaced, installing parts where they are not supposed to be installed, running the OS in the configuration not officially supported by the manufacturer, and then if it does not work, you throw a tantrum because "you know what you are doing". The thing is: Apple does not care about marginal use cases. Unsupported features can stop working at any time. You want RAID? Modern macs come with an internal SSD that is faster and much more reliable than your software RAID-0 setup. You want even more speed? Thunderbolt with an external RAID controller can give you that. Furthermore, by using expressions like "Facebook OS" you are exposing your immaturity and ignorance. Not only that, but you are insulting millions of people that productively use their Macs to do some amazing work. I understand that you are disappointed in their decisions and I respect that, but I also do not think that Apple owes you anything in this situation. If you want a customisable machine that you can play around with, go Linux.

RAIDs are not just about speed, but also redundancy and security.

Apple is pitching this as an upgrade to certain systems that did support RAID configurations and other internally upgradable components, so you have to be considerate towards users who feel let down instead of berating them for not accepting Apple's new vision of a simplified closed off walled garden OS. El Capitan might have some great APIs and really good SDK, but if Apple dumb down the OS they really shouldn't keep calling it 'the most advanced operating system in the world'.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

You replaced your optical drive with a third-party hack so you could put another SSD in. Yeah, somehow I can't fault Apple for not considering that a supported configuration.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
RAIDs are not just about speed, but also redundancy and security.

A RAID 0 is certainly not about redundancy or security (by which I assume you mean reliability). It's everything but those two; it can be good for speed, but it's a nightmare for reliability.

Apple is pitching this as an upgrade to certain systems that did support RAID configurations and other internally upgradable components, so you have to be considerate towards users who feel let down instead of berating them for not accepting Apple's new vision of a simplified closed off walled garden OS.

Meh. It's quite a stretch to say that the Recovery partitions aren't supported on RAID boot disks because Apple has a "new vision of a simplified closed off walled garden OS". They're not supported because it's non-trivial to support, and the support article suggests alternatives (such as booting off a USB flash drive) for this rare scenario. This Recovery change is also entirely unrelated to El Capitan. Presumably, it's been this way since 10.7 Lion.

As for System Integrity Protection, yeah, an argument can be made that it brings us closer to a walled garden, but somehow very few of the geeky stuff people do is actually affected. Homebrew works fine, VMware Fusion works fine, most stuff works fine.

Reactions: poematik13
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
You replaced your optical drive with a third-party hack so you could put another SSD in. Yeah, somehow I can't fault Apple for not considering that a supported configuration.

Hardly a third party hack. He just used the port for a storage drive instead of an optical one and took advantage of Disk Utility's support for RAID. El Capitan officially supports Mac Pros going back to 2008 which have been capable of using RAIDs officially. To dumb down the Disk Utility for no reason makes little sense. At least wait until the OS no longer supports ANY machine with more than one SATA connector.

Btw, people don't need to reply to everything they read on the Internet. Just be more considerate and thoughtful before jumping on someone who has a legit concern.

Reactions: Weaselboy

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Hardly a third party hack. He just used the port for a storage drive instead of an optical one and took advantage of Disk Utility's support for RAID.

And has it randomly bouncing around in his laptop? Surely he's using OptiBay, Data Doubler or similar. I presume he didn't build his own custom 3d-printed disk holder.

To dumb down the Disk Utility for no reason makes little sense.

There's always reasons to shave off features. It makes the UI cleaner; it makes the code cleaner; it reduces the surface for bugs and security issues; it lets you focus on what's important and actually make those parts better.

At least wait until the OS no longer supports ANY machine with more than one SATA connector.

Don't ask for this too loudly, or they'll simply cut off support for those old machines.

Reactions: KALLT
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.