How to disable the startup of an unwanted system process that uses up CPU recources?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by t0gg1e4u, Dec 10, 2009.

1. t0gg1e4u macrumors newbie

Hi

since recently I have a system-process that runs under root that coggs up to 25% of my CPU time just after start up. It is called 'sh' and I assume I installed it unintentionally through an old installation app a couple of days ago. I am able to kill the script (I assume thats what it is) withought having any problems otherwise and without beeing restarted by the system (thats the reason why I assume its not an operating system process - beside i didnt have this a couple of days ago).
    Now I could live on killing it everytime I start my system, but I would prefer to disable it all together. is there a way to identify the script file and/or the place this script is started? -> I do think it is started through launchd, since this is a parent process of this 'sh'-process. And no, I dont have an uninstall script.

I am using os x 10.6.2

thanks

martin

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

sh is usually a script shell so its executing something, how dow you know its not needed. What did you install or run? What happens when you kill it, does it restart again?

3. t0gg1e4u thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont know, I just assume:

- it doesnt restart after killing it.
    - my system seems to run smoothly without it
    - a couple of days ago after startup the CPU usage was normal: more than 90% idle (right now I am running blender, firefox, itunes, mail and actvitymonitor and they together use only 4% - idle 90%). with that shell script system activity goes up to 45% without having anything started. which really doesnt sound like a core process.
    - I do think I got through an installation of a software that didnt work for my system - but I am not sure and there is no uninstall script.

4. t0gg1e4u thread starter macrumors newbie