How to disable trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by well2thebone, Mar 25, 2012.

1. well2thebone macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 13'' macbook pro and the track pad has basically stopped working. It basically just moves wherever it wants. However, when I plug in a usb mouse, the trackpad interferes with the usb mouse so it is also not very accurate. I went into system preferences and didn't see a way to disable the trackpad and was wondering what i should do. Thanks in advance. Also is this something that could be fixed and how much would it cost. thanks

2. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I believe in sys prefs under mouse? There is a box to check for "disable trackpad when theres a mouse connected" Im not sure if it shows before you connect a mouse. I remember having disabled it myself, but didnt like it that way, but if your trackpad is faulty I suppose its the better option. :)

3. well2thebone thread starter macrumors newbie

just checked and didn't see that option under mouse

4. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

I dont have a mouse I can connect atm but I know i disabled the trackpad for when I had a mouse connected.

EDIT: Its under universal access, check the box for "ignore built in trackpack when mouse or wireless trackpad is present"

:)

5. well2thebone thread starter macrumors newbie

6. antseg macrumors member

I actually just got this done. It's most likely a swollen battery pressing up on the trackpad. I believe the battery replacement cost $129 + labor (probably around $20. I got my trackpad replaced as well and I think labor total was $41).

If you have an Apple store nearby you can go in and ask and they'll give you the exact numbers.

EDIT: Sorry labor cost $39 total for battery + trackpad. So it'll probably be around $145 total to replace the battery?