How to: Disable Turboboost on Mac(while in OSX)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by luffytubby, Dec 4, 2013.

1. luffytubby, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013

luffytubby macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Heated discussions have been running up around here lately;), and someone asked about something interesting in one of the threads. "If we can disable our GPU for better battery and heat management, why can't we do it with the CPU".

Actually there is a way to disable turboboost in Mac.

First of all, what is turboboost?;

So basically, you have a computer that runs a base clock of 2.3 GHz. It runs like that all the time. Then when task that could go faster comes up then it can jump to a clock of 3.3 GHz in violent small millisecond. And then again. it spikes to fix every situation so fast. But it heats up the temperatures over time. It would never go under its base clock 2.3 besides a throttling emergency. Basically the temperatures would need to get past 105c degrees for the CPU clock to go all the way down, to say... 1,3 GHz.

[​IMG]

Why disable turboboost?

It's a known fact that with disabling turboboost, you can reduce temperatures and increase battery life. If you have silly software like flash that is way to annoyingly coded anyway, why allow your Mac to get all heated up just because Youtube is a b**ch?;) Disable it, and leave it for when work needs to be done.

Not all applications and websites are equally using the resources. This allows a Mac with a powerful processor to get all fired up for little reason. Turbboost is great for certain thing, but let's not act like we need it all the time. At least not in a world with Flash:p

Video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci5t-54ksEM

Link to App; https://github.com/rugarciap/Turbo-Boost-Switcher

Disclaimer; I havent used it. I am just excited to see this, because I thought this could only be done under Windows by downloading the Intel Application and setting CPU power to 99%. I had no idea it was possible in OSX. Seeing it makes me excited.

If anyone here have any gains in temperature drops or battery life, please do tell!

2. vandoorn macrumors regular

I like your story! Who volunteers to try this app? :)

3. luffytubby thread starter macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

guys, anyone wanna test this? I would like to see if there is a significant difference in real world performance? lower temps during idle, during light loads, during heavy applications, during gaming.

I mean.. if you got a 10c or 20c decrease across the board.. that would be phenomenal.

4. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

you wouldn't see any improvement at idle since turbo boost isn't running at idle.

Main advantage would be web browsing or light applications where you don't need the extra horse power anyway, so your MBP won't heat up just because of watching youtube.

This is basically the CPU equivalent of disabling the dGPU and only using the integrated graphics.

5. luffytubby thread starter macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Yes that's what I was thinking. Why should a dudes CPU go to 90c degrees because Flash is a mess on youtube or some website? TB doesnt know what we want it to help us with in assistance right?

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I think at this point you are misinformed. A CPU that is idle will run at much lower frequencies, at least any laptop CPU will do so. This speedstepping was introduced I think already in 2002 or 2003 with the Centrino CPUs. Modern CPUs are a few steps further, I think they can go to sleep when the laptop is idle... there are several sleep states etc.

Coming back to the topic:
    - a laptop CPU with 2.3 GHz will rarely run at this frequency, unless under heavy load
    - if the CPU runs at 2.3 GHz for an extended period, it gets hot... those 90C would also happen without turbo boost... maybe a bit slower

Anyways, the tool, if it works, could still be useful, to reduce the heat generated from load spikes. But I'm not sure if it is worth the effort.

7. luffytubby thread starter macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

Oh I see. I guess I misunderstood it then. then what does speed does a laptop run at?

8. luffytubby thread starter macrumors 6502a

luffytubby

I found an older thread on the subject; http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1435088

Though it talks about Windows effects.

This is fantastic. Never above 80 degrees while gaming for not that big a FPS loss?