How to disable UserNotificationCenter

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Autopulated, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Autopulated macrumors newbie

I stumbled across this while looking for a way to stop "Because a USB device was drawing too much power..." notification messages, but it will also stop the annoying "USB device not ejected properly..." messages.

Thought it would be good to share, since I've seen others trying to achieve the same, and some hacky solutions based around removing the app... :)

Run this in Terminal.app:
    Code:
    sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.UserNotificationCenter.plist

2. Anic297 macrumors newbie

Playing with LaunchAgent files like that is really a bad thing, especially when it's about the ones in the System folder. How do you actually know whether UserNotificationCenter doesn't do other things than displaying alerts (we could, for instance, imagine it may be the process responsible to suspend applications when your startup disk goes out of space).

Your post, in my opinion, lacks a major warning to others who read it: we don't know possible side effects of doing that.
    Also, there are alerts that an user has to be aware (like when the startup disk is full; without knowing that, you wonder why your system is all frozen and you may do bad things because you don't target the problem).