How to disable viewport zooming on websites?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by fenderbendr, Apr 9, 2013.

1. fenderbendr macrumors member

I find it rather annoying how the entire screen of my IPod touch zooms in when I go to type something like I'm doing right now. I know the code to disable it is:
    Code:
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, user-scalable=no" />
    but I have no idea how to use it to disable the automatic zooming on websites. Do you need to be the owner of the website in order to change these settings?

Does anyone have a solution on how to fix this problem and put a stop the automatic text box zooming that websites implement?

2. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Not quite, if you were on a desktop browser, where you could use a so called "web inspector" to remove the code on-the-fly.
    On mobile, things are different, and unless something like this (cumbersome), or a proxy works, then you are pretty much out of luck, because of the inability to say, install extensions to mobile browsers.

I read sometime about having to enable zoom on accessibility settings to override the metatag (aka ignore it), but I'm not sure if it works or not, never tested it and every time I've had to deal with what you are, I forget to test it.

3. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Here's a bookmarklet I just put together that wil accomplish this. The only bad part is that it would need to be applied for every successive page view.

Code:
    javascript:var meta=document.createElement('meta');
    meta.name='viewport';meta.content='width=device-width, user-scalable=no';document.getElementsByTagName('head').item(0).appendChild(meta);alert('Zooming disabled.');

4. fenderbendr thread starter macrumors member

Where would I put this in on the Atomic Web browser?

5. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

Copy and paste it in the address bar when you're viewing the page you want to modify. Or you can save it as a bookmark which will accomplish the same thing.