How to disable webcam without voiding warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by scissorband, Dec 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scissorband macrumors member

For the iPhone 5S, how can I disable the webcam so it can't be turned on at all? I read news articles today about people that can activate your webcam remotely without the webcam light turning on and this makes me a little paranoid, so I'd like to disable the webcam altogether since I never use Facetime. But I still use the front camera (which I don't think can be used as a webcam?), so preferably without disabling the front camera.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They can both be used as a webcam. You can disable both or neither through the restrictions part of the Settings app.

3. na1577 macrumors 6502a

FaceTime can be disabled in the Restrictions menu in Settings. You can disable Apple's Camera app as well, but as far as I know the actual camera hardware can still be accessed through other apps.

The only way to truly prevent access to the camera is to have it removed through third party companies which will void the warranty.

4. ASUgrad1999 macrumors regular

ASUgrad1999

5. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

First off- on the iPhone there isn't an LED that indicates the camera is on. There is an LED flash, but the camera will work with that light on or off.

Second- if someone is going to enable your camera (on ANY device) without you knowing about it (LED on say a MBP or what have you) then any software switch or setting won't really help your paranoia, as the individual may be able to enable the camera even with the setting/switch/restriction enabled.

The only TRUE way to avoid this possible issue is to not use a device that has a camera PERIOD.

Having said that- if you go anywhere outside of a 100% KNOWN TO BE FREE OF CAMERAS location, then chances are there are multiple cameras recording you at all times. This is just the way life is these days. You'll have to live with a certain amount of surveillance.

I completely understand your frustration, OP. This has gone too far already... and it isn't even close to being over.

Good luck buddy. Remember you aren't alone out there. I mean that in the sense that there are others who share your concern, and that quite literally... no matter where you go... someone's watching you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY

6. Idefix macrumors 6502

I've never heard of anyone gaining access to an iPhone webcam.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but all the stories of gaining access to computer webcams were from Windows PCs. I've never heard of a Mac Computer being compromised?

Anybody know for sure?

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Has happened on Macs as well, although not as common. Hasn't happend in iOS from what I recall.

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Yeah, this. Get a case that covers the top part of your phone, then tape over the hole? Remove the phone when you want to use the front-facing camera?

9. macigo macrumors regular

You can try putting opaque tape on it.

... and what was it about the military getting iPhones without cameras?

10. martosprint macrumors 6502

I just read an article last night about this turning on your camera without the green light showing for Mac computers and webcams. The article said that the FBI can do it without the operator of the computer noticing the green light,and I don't know if anyone else can though. I don't know about the iPhone though if it would work the same way. 

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

It wouldn't apply like that to iOS. And FBI can't really do it just like that either.

12. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Put tape over the lens.

----------

Is this statement made via firsthand knowledge?

13. chestvrg macrumors 65816

Let me throw in my $.02. The government I'm pretty certain has the technology to access any part of our smartphones features if not at least most. Recently my iPhone 5 started acting up, very strange things it was doing. The camera light would turn on, music would start playing by itself, applications would open and I would always find started emails, with populated scribbles on the to, subject and header fields. Is is of someone that has access to these feature was having a fit doing this, just for fun. It is very scary, I had to reset my phone, did a clean restore and in the process lost a lot of information.

So I'm pretty sure these federal agencies have access to these features like in the likes of FBI, NSA or even the new TSA a agency. Remember these people operate in secrecy and have secure access to all these technology the average Joe like us doesn't even know it exist, but based on all these new spy leaks recently, we are aware specially the government is spying on us and we have all the reasons to be more paranoid than ever, the OP has a point with the camera access feature.

I have been thinking about just carrying an old palm OS handspring visor that has no access to wi-if or Bluetooth and no GPS. I'm no one important, but anyone and everyone should take their invasion of their own privacy very serious.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

15. martosprint macrumors 6502

chestvrg, that was exactly what I was referring to. Any of those agencies can have access to our computers if they wanted to. 

16. Idefix macrumors 6502

Can you provide a link? Would love to see if it's true...

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

What part of it exactly? That it hasn't happened?

18. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

The whole reason why they implemented cameras on computers and smartphones and such is so the government can spy on you. Of course they're not going to tell you that. They're going to tell you it's for taking "great photos and video chatting with friends and family". But it's just more surveillance intruding on our private lives. We're just now becoming more fully aware when we should have seen it coming years ago.

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Source, please.

Otherwise, it's nothing more than a highly questionably, made-up-out-of-the-whole-cloth, totally unreliable, and basically worthless, opinion.

20. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yup, just more pointless FUD.

21. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Why else would they install them?? There's no need for them otherwise. Previously Apple (for example) had a camera called iSight which was external from the Mac and could be connected or disconnected at ones leisure. Now it's embedded in the Mac display bezel so if one wanted to disconnect it they'd have to take the whole display apart. Even the iPhone which is virtually impossible to take apart without damaging it. One can't physically disable that camera either. Previously one had to carry a separate camera alongside their cell phone (if they had one) if they wanted to take photos while out and about. Now they are embedded and many products (especially Apple it seems) are much less user accessible and serviceable which means disabling the camera is virtually impossible. Exactly what the government wants. Total control and surveillance. Another name for that is dictatorship. Same reason for the new "Common Core" standardized education system being implemented in the US.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

Good one. Ha ha ha.

23. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Truth hurts doesn't it? If you think about it logically it will make sense. To use a saying in the Apple community "iCal it". One day it will all come to a head and you'll know that myself and others were right.

24. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Apparently I was not clear in my post (reproduced above your Quote).

Let me try to clarify. I would like some supporting data, reliable source material or otherwise reliable evidence of your claim.

Asserting more ...er...questionable... claims is not providing support for your...ah....position.

Just a note...I know this is undoubtedly incredibly naive and short sighted on my part, but it is just barely possible a camera was included on these devices in order to allow the user to...wait for it...take pictures.

Silly, I know...

25. Idefix macrumors 6502

Can you provide a source for a Mac computer webcam being hijacked?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.