How to disconnect from AirPort network WITHOUT turning off AirPort?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Geoff Myers, May 5, 2007.

1. Geoff Myers macrumors member

How can I disconnect from an AirPort network WITHOUT turning off (disabling) AirPort? Thanks.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Connect to another, or just turn off airport and then turn it back on again.

3. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

I'm not sure what you want to do, but if your AirPort is handing out DHCP addresses, you could go to System --> Preferences --> Network --> turn Configure IPv4 off. That will take you off the network. But why?!

4. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

In the Terminal, this long command will do it:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/A/Resources/airport -z

To get it connected again without going through the menu, just change the -z to -a.

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

Try to d/c from within iStumbler and then reconnect?

6. iHerzeleid macrumors 6502a

iHerzeleid

Apple should make this easier to do. Windows definatly has an advantage on wireless network configurations.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Just connect to 'other', enter a '1', when it errors out, click ok, and you are all good. But, what is the logic in running you're AirPort without a network connected? You are better off just turning it off, as otherwise you are wasting energy.

TEG

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why would you want to disconnect from a network without switching off wireless?

9. Geoff Myers thread starter macrumors member

I'm using a program called SpoofMAC and it requires a hack to get it to work in Mac OS X 10.4.5 and above. What the application does is change your AirPort Extreme MAC address. However, for it to work, AirPort needs to be active but NOT connected to a network. My issue was that my computer automatically connected to the list of preferred networks. Thanks for the help! :)

10. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Sounds like someone is going to be joining some wireless networks that he / she doesn't belong on.:rolleyes: