How to disconnect from ethernet ?

Bernarada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
A simple question : how can I simply disconnect my ethernet connection from within OS X ? ....there must be a way apart from switching off the external high-speed modem I use. ...or not ?

Thanks, B.

Bernarada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Now, we're getting somewhere (but great ideas, guys!). So Macvanguy, I opened Network, there is 'configure IPv6' (not 4 here) yet no 'off'.
So. . .

Comment

Bernarada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
And as an afterthought, if going the unplugging way. . . Better to unplug the modem from my mac or switch it off ? Why unplug it if it can be switched off? Suspense. . .

Comment

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
If you switch off the modem you'll have to wait for it to acquire a new IP address every time you switch it back on. This could take a few minutes.

If you don't want to be connected unplug the network cable from your Mac and leave your modem alone.

Easiest way by far.

Comment

Bernarada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Sushi. . . Every now and then - I want to have it off when I do music with Logic to use all the cpu I can there. Why you ask. . .

Comment

Bernarada

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2007
Macvan, great. i appreciate the precise answer. Did find the off now, yet won't use it. I get the point. Thanks for your care. Best regards.

Comment

i9natz

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2014
turn ethernet and wifi off from macosx

you just have to create in Network preferences a new location called for example "ETHERNET OFF".
Configure IPv4: off
Then just select it in a menu App like iStat Menus.
that's all :)

Comment

hallux

macrumors 68030
Apr 25, 2012
you just have to create in Network preferences a new location called for example "ETHERNET OFF".
Configure IPv4: off
Then just select it in a menu App like iStat Menus.
that's all :)
Welcome to the forums but did you REALLY need to bring back a post from almost 7 years ago?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.