How to Display Subtitles for Rented Movies?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Never2L8, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Never2L8 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I have been searching high and low for a way or an app that will display english subtitles (or closed captioning) while watching a movie rented through iTunes. You know, just like with a DVD rental from the local video store - you can choose to watch the movie with subtitles.

We like to hook up my iPhone to the TV (Front jacks) using the iPhone AV cable. I have my Settings: iPod: Video: Closed Captioning set to "On", but subtitles do not display. This was with my 1st generation iPhone...

I just bought a new 3GS and have my iPod settings the same as above. I have a movie that I own on my new 3G. I tried playing it on my iPhone, but still, no subtitles or captioning.

Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to turn CC on using my TV remote control? Or is there an app in the iTunes Store?

Thanks

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Are you sure the movie has subtitles to begin with?

3. Never2L8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that's a good question. Certainly the DVD rental had subtitles (the movie is "The Mummy.") I then purchased the movie from iTunes. No subtitles.

So I guess the question is: do movies for purchase or rental from iTunes contain subtitles?

4. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Some do. If you want to know which ones, then when you search in the iTunes store use the Power Search and be sure to check the "Search only for movies that contain closed captioning." If you are just looking at a movie on the iTunes store it will have the CC symbol somewhere on the page.

5. Never2L8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll be darn... I just did an iTunes search for movie rentals with CC. A whopping 10 movies came up.

I don't understand why there are so few. I think it should be a standard feature.

6. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I found closer to 75, but yeah, still a small number.

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Too few

Yeah. I'm hard of hearing and value captions very highly. The DVDs I get from Netflix almost always have them. But very few on iTunes do.

Has anyone here had any success in ripping a DVD into a format usable by the iPhone, with captions intact?

8. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Unlike TV shows, I always watch movies with subtitles on because I don't want to miss any lines. :D

9. Never2L8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got done watching an iTunes movie rental with CC (it was Calendar Girls).

OMG, there was no CC. I had it hooked up to the TV. I tried it just on my iPhone without the TV. Still, no CC. I finally gave up.

Then around chapter 8 or so, the CC all of a sudden kicked in - all of the CC from the beginning of the movie. Multiple lines too. The CC was out of sync. It finally caught up at just about the end of the movie.

After the movie ended, I replayed it from the beginning to see if it would magically reappear. Nothing.

Do you think I got a bad/reject download, or is this iTunes' idea of CC?!!!

Has anyone played a movie from iTunes with successful closed captioning?

10. Never2L8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Download Corrupt

Just answering my own question here... I rented a different movie from iTunes with CC and it was fine.

My first CC movie download was corrupt. It played fine, but the CC was all messed up. I do remember an error very near the end of the download, but I just clicked resume.