iPhone 5 or earlier How to dispose an iphone with bloated battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bobbype0, Oct 14, 2018.

1. bobbype0 macrumors member

I have an old iphone 4s. It has a bloated battery. Should it be tossed out? The thing though is i would obviously want to break any data that i have in it etc. I believe when this happened, i was logged into my email etc. I didn't even have a passcode on it.

But could it be even repaired? This laptop is many years old already I no longer use it. But could it be repaired though? But the cost of repairing it is not worth it right? At the moment i just have it in the box etc.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 14, 2018 ---
    But i don't want to toss it out in case someone picks it up and then tries to fix it and then my data is there. Would it be even there if someone tries to fix it or if i bring it to repair shop to fix it?

2. AxlTJ macrumors member

AxlTJ

Are you talking about your iPhone or your laptop?

If you have a bloated battery, just remove the battery (safely, of course!) and discard it or send it to a recycling center. You can even get a new battery and get your phone working again.

3. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

You could replace the battery yourself. That would be the cheapest route. You could also just take it to an Apple store and have them recycle it for you..

4. Caspavio macrumors regular

Caspavio

regardless of what happens, you should always try to properly dispose of your gadgets. this is better for the environment, because they contain small amounts of hazardous materials, such as heavy metals and mercury.

apple tells you to wipe your data before bringing in the device, so it is be best to check in with them since you are unable to do so.

5. bobbype0 thread starter macrumors member

Its an iphone not computer.

If i get a new battery, you mean the one from ebay right? Obvioulsy im not buying an 80 dollar battery to put it on the iphone 4s.

The thing is, is it better to just keep it in the box with the battery bloated

or

Get a battery from ebay and try to fix it

or

Throw it Away

but if throw it away

Smash it and break it and then throw it in trash/recycle?

Just recycle it but don't have to make sure i break the device first?

Well you say apple says wipe device first. It doesn't even turn on. If i bring it to apple store to recycle, is it 100 percent going to get tossed in recycle and they don't try to just replace battery themselves and keep it?

6. Caspavio macrumors regular

Caspavio

You still have to dispose it at some point

if you have no experience, it can be quite daunting

it best for the environment to recycle it. however, recycling can mean many things, from reusing as a phone or breaking down for parts or destorying in an environmentally friendly way.

apple 's website https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in doesnt mention anything about non-functioning devices, as it isnt technically a recycling website. but like i mentioned earlier, might be good to check in with them.

if you really want to smash the phone, destroying the logic board should be sufficient to render the data unrecoverable.