How to do a clean install?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MacLara, Jul 19, 2011.

1. MacLara macrumors newbie

I keep hearing about doing a clean install for Lion. Do I do that before I get to download Lion or there's going to be an option whether to update or to do a clean instal after I download it? If I have to prep my computer by doing a format, what is the best way to do so? Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, you do not have to do a clean install. Apple is doing everything that it can to make the process as easy as an application upgrade. However, certain people resist with all their might. They insist that upgrading their operating system should involve the same level of effort as migrating to a new computer.

Take it from this Mac user of 20 years, it ain't all that. I have never done a clean install as part of the upgrade process. Not with System 6, System 7, or any other version of Apple's operating system.

3. Nuckinfuts macrumors 6502

If you don't know what a clean install is, do the upgrade. And please use search next time.

4. CJUN26 macrumors newbie

I had the same question about doing a clean install for lion tomorrow. I heard that you have to:

Burn The dmg for the installer to a DVD/USB and then boot from it. Will need to find the app in finder show package contents and then copy the dmg.

Can someone tell me how to do all that step by step? Or is it unnecessary to do a clean install like what that person said above? I'm not sure where to follow now.

5. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

there are a trillion threads with the specific steps in them. if you don't know just use the upgrade. for me the upgrade killed the performance of my MBP so i will do a clean install with lion final on a SSD.

6. dfine1966 macrumors 6502

7. Nanker/Phelge macrumors regular

Or partition your boot drive, chose the new partition for the install, and boot from that. This is what I will be doing until the stability of Lion is thoroughly tested.

8. B2k1977 macrumors regular

Clean install question

I'm new to the Mac scene, I got my macbook pro in October of 2010, then the thunderbolt mbp's came out in february of 2011 so I very quickly sold my laptop on craigslist and purchased the 2011 model, so I've got the latest hardware. I've got the latest snow leopard installed, I too am interested in doing a clean install, I understand the steps and can follow them, but I've got one question no one has seemed to touch on...once I format and reinstall lion, if I use my time machine backup along with the migration assistant to pull all my data, applications and settings back onto the machine, is that still considered a "clean" install? or will I be pulling back in the variables that affect system performance by doing an upgrade? Honestly, reinstalling all of my software does not really appeal to me at all. I appreciate any helpful comments anyone may have about this. Thanks,

Brian

9. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Nope, it won't be a clean install. The upgrade from SL to Lion was painless so if you don't need a clean install just upgrade.

10. B2k1977 macrumors regular

What would be considered a need for a clean install on the Mac? I don't currently have anything that doesn't work, nothing is acting wacky. I'm sorry for the paranoia, but I'm a long time windows user/IT pro. It's just hard for me to accept that a computer just simply "runs" and doesn't really require any under the hood interaction. I can quote windows registry settings like scripture. I've gotten addicted to the ease of the Mac and I like it.

11. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I don't usually do clean installs on a Mac unless I run into trouble. A clean install on a Mac is installing the OS, then re-install any apps you need, then import Documents, Music, Pics, any other files. All preferences are left behind and you start fresh.
    Oops you asked for the need. There really is not a need ;)

12. Branskins macrumors 65816

Question: installing a fresh copy of SL or Lion and then restoring from backup fixes any disk fragmentation correct? A little while ago I was below 10 GB free and now I am at 40, so I have been dealing with files constantly and I don't know how fragmented my drive is.

My plan was to do a fresh install of SL, then install Lion on top of that and then restore from my backup (restoring from my backup made in SL in Lion should work correct?).

Has the Lion upgrade process been enhanced to make sure all files are moved as close together as possible? Has anyone tested their fragmentation?

I would greatly appreciate if someone would tell me it is worth doing this or if Lion has greatly improved this. I did it once in SL and it seemed to help a lot.

Sorry for the naive question :p

13. mrapplegate, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

mrapplegate macrumors 68030

OS X has built in disk de-fragmentation. I don't know the exact details. Files more than 20MB I think. Others can jump in and fill in the details. I'm not sure if your concern is that or disk space itself.
    I would just clean your system and upgrade. You can do what you suggest. A clean install of SL, restore data from a backup then upgrade to Lion. Either is fine. It is just a personal preference. I don't know how well Lion does on fragmentation.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1375

14. Branskins macrumors 65816

Thanks! This sounds like the way to go!

If it does nothing, it will at least make my night more bearable so I am not dying with anticipation!