How to Do a Clean Install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ComicStix, Aug 29, 2009.

1. ComicStix macrumors member

I am installing Snow Leopard on My Tiger computer. Backed up the files

1. I was wondering since I am on Tiger will I need to do a clean install or just an upgrade? (Dumb question but I need answers) I have the upgrade disk and I heard the upgrade disk is the exact same as the box set and I do not need iwork 09 cause I already have it and I don't need ilife 09 because I have final Cut pro, photoshop, and I have some HTML knowledge. Also, i have no interest in music making so I don't need ilife.

2. If I do need to do a clean install how do I do that?

3. Could I just do a upgrade?

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I like clean installs.

Do this. Insert the SN disk. Restart holdng the option key, then choose to boot from the disk. One it loads choose utilities on the menu bar. Find your drive and erase it with disk utility. Then exit out to the man screen and install. Done.

Make sure to have backups.

3. DaveICT macrumors newbie

But don't forget to BACKUP everything. A clean install cleans off the hard drive, data included.

Dave

4. ComicStix thread starter macrumors member

Should I disconnect my external hard drive during the installation?
    Should I just backup my files and if I can't do an upgrade should I just do a clean install?

5. DaveICT macrumors newbie

I haven't heard of any problems that involved external hard drives in a few years. However, a few years ago, some firewire drives were affected during the upgrade process. So since then, I have unplugged mine just to be on the safe side.

6. DaveICT macrumors newbie

I did an upgrade instead of the erase and install. Worked on both of mine.

7. ComicStix thread starter macrumors member

Thanks DaveICT but just wondering were you running Tiger or Leopard when you installed? :apple:

8. david803sc macrumors member

david803sc

If you have a good backup I would do the clean install, I think it is always better to start off with a clean slate, with this big of an update especially when you are coming from Tiger.

It is possible an upgrade would work, even an upgrade can go wrong, there was another poster who got halfway through an upgrade from Tiger and it failed on him he lost all his data, because he had no backup......

I tried an upgrade on both my new macs running Leopard one worked and one didn't it just depends on what you have installed on it, even the one that the upgrade worked, I still wound up doing a clean install after it ran real slow, the fresh install fixed that problem from me and I was able to restore everything I had from my backup after getting the new OS up and running.

David

9. ComicStix thread starter macrumors member

I guess I should wait a few days until one of the 20 percent that are still on Tiger installs Snow Leopard.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Just out of curiosity, did you buy the Mac Boxed Set or the $29 DVD?

11. ComicStix thread starter macrumors member

29 dollar upgrade version. Straight out of the mouth of the chat person on Apple Store Chat they said that the mac box set and upgrade version CD were the same CD. Weird Huhh?

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yep, weird, other than to make money (and I guess that that's the only reason) I don't know why Apple is instructing Tiger users to buy the Mac Boxed Set when the $29 DVD works just as well. I can see if they were preventing Tiger users from being able to install it but if anyone can use the $29 version then there's no reason to make Tiger users spend more money. Good find. :)

13. tivoboy macrumors 68030

license

AND, to also actually buy and own the license that authorizes the double upgrade.