How to do a CLEAN restore on a 2012 MBA with recovery partition?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sean Dempsey, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

So I just did a "reinstall" with the recovery partition on a 2012 MBA. After waiting something like 9 hours for it to finish (it had to download everything......), it finally starts up and all my stuff is still there.

I had wanted to do a factory, clean reinstall. What am I missing? I didn't format/partition the main drive, I thought the "reinstall" would handle that.

2. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

In Mac OS X the OS is completely separate from your apps and user data. Reinstalling the OS will not touch your apps or user data. There should be an option to wipe the drive (reformat), but I'm not sure where it is at.

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

When you boot to the recovery partition, open disk utility and format the drive before you reinstall Lion.

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Although this article is for Mac OS X 10.6, Part One is still relevant. Substitute the install DVD for the Recovery HD, and since Disk Utility is one of the options from the get go, you don't need to select it from the Utilities menu as suggested. After you have erased the drive, you can quit Disk Utility and proceed with the reinstall of Mac OS X.