HOW to do a fresh install of OSX Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kona0197, Aug 21, 2013.

1. kona0197 macrumors newbie

So I have a 2007 Macbook. 2 GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive. When powered on it will drop me in Disk Utilities and pop up a box with the following options: Retsore computer using Time Machine, Do a fresh Install of Lion, Get help online, and I forget the last option, LOL. So when I choose to install Lion it checks my Apple ID and says I have never downloaded Lion with my account. I bought the machine on eBay with Lion already installed. No disc came with the machine.

So now the machine will not let me install Lion, Nor will it boot a Snow Leopard disc I have even after holding down the control or C buttons. Just defualts to the that screen with the four options.

So I have a Leopard disc and a Snow lepoard disc. And all I have at my disposal are a Windows 7 machine, DVD-R discs, and a 8 GB USB stick.

HOW do I get Lion reinsatalled or at least Snow Leopard?

Would TransMac do the trick?

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

are your lion and snow leopard disks legit?

if so try booting while holding down alt/option key (will show you all bootable medias...hd,cd ect)

3. kona0197 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes the discs are legit. I think the Superdrive in the MacBook is on its last leg as it will not read them. I can use the Windows laptop to make an image of the discs. Again, would TransMac work to reinstall OSX?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have not used TransMac, but from looking at their web page... I have an idea that might work.

Can you use Transmac on the PC to make a DMG of the Snow Leopard DVD installer? Then save that DMG to a USB key. Now go back to the Mac in that recovery screen you can use Disk Utility to follow these instructions to make a USB installer. You would need two USB keys, one for the DMG and another for the SL installer. I think this would work.

Another option... do you have access to another Mac somewhere? If you do, you can call 1800MYAPPLE and for $20 they will sell you a code to enter in the App Store to get Lion. Login to the App Store with your AppleID and redeem that code but don't DL the Lion installer. Now go back to your Mac and when you are prompted for the AppleID to install Lion just use yours and it will now work since you bought Lion.

5. kona0197 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

7. kona0197 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm bit worried about this:

Has been formatted with a GUID partition type

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1948

Of course TransMac uses the Leopard image when it formats the USB stick. Hope this works. I have no other way to make the Mac work until payday.

8. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

If it's your macbook's dvd that is causing the issue...you could

-try borrowing a friends mac and doing a "target" install using firewire

-go to bb and get a usb portable dvd,boot using alt/option,install osx,take portable dvd back to bb ;-)

9. kona0197 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have any friends that own a Mac. Sorry. And I own a 8GB USB drive. I will see if TransMac does the job. Just worried it will not boot the USB stick.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Your recovery partition on your Mac is still working. Just command-r boot to that and use Disk Util from there to format the USB key how you need it.

11. kona0197 thread starter macrumors newbie

So everything went OK. I have Snow Leopard installed. The question is should I go for Lion or just stick to Snow Leopard. I only have 2 GB of RAM.

12. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Just stick to snow leopard unless you need lion or mountain lion to run a specific app you need.

13. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Congrats...I have a black macbook 2.4GHz,2 gigs ram,ssd....have run both snow leopard and lion on it...found snow leopard to be slightly more responsive and the fans rev up less often.....stick to snow leopard.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Glad it worked out. :)

I agree with my friends here... unless you need iCloud or something specific Lion brings to the party, I would just leave it be.