how to do....ANYTHING on a secondary display

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Draddy, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Draddy macrumors regular

I have a TV that I want to use as a secondary video display... mainly for playing movies and such..

I'm running HDMI to it, and the only way I can get full widescreen 1080i or 720p is when I run it as a secondary display... (not mirroring) if I run it mirroring, I have to crop it 10% in order to see it wide screen.

but when in secondary mode, the second monitor is useless... you can't do anything on it.... all I want to be able to do is push my movies over there, and hit apple+F to get it full screen.

but no, you can have your movie completely on the secondary monitor, and hit apple+F and it goes to my MBP display full screen.

which would be okay, if I could put my dock on the other display... but no.. your dock has to be used on the main display... so my secondary monitor is useless.

may I please ask for help in this matter... is there software I can buy or download that will let me use my secondary monitor as a monitor?

and I'm sure it is to much to ask to allow front row to run on the secondary display right?

-Draddy

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

For most other programs besides QT, the easiest way to do it is to go to sys prefs -> displays -> arrangement. Drag the menu bar in the picture onto the external display in the picture. Now the menu bar will be on that display whenever it is hooked up (and on your internal display otherwise). This display with the menu bar is called the "Main" display. Most programs will default to showing full screen on the main display.

3. Angrist macrumors 6502

If you use something like VLC or mplayer, there is a preference setting to use the secondary display in fullscreen mode. I don't know of this in Quicktime .... but why you would use quicktime with mplayer available is beyond me.

4. Draddy thread starter macrumors regular

right.. but I don't want it to show on the main display... why would I want my video to show on the main display? that's like showing a powerpoint on the main display and putting your edit window on the secondary one....I want to be able to do stuff and watch a video at the same time.

Thanks for the help guys! I really appreciate it, this is very frustrating to me... why are the little things like this in OS X so massive?

amazing link! THank you very much! I went through that menu without it plugged up not thinking that it would change if I had a second display there.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

in QT (im guessing you have pro) go to preferences >>>>'full screen' and then you can select what screen the QT movies will play on. click on the HDMI monitor.

when you hit :apple: + F movies will automatically go to the full screen which you picked in preferences.

6. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Or hit :apple: + shift + F and you can select which screen you want the movie to play on.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

aahh thanks, i never knew that one hahahaha.

there are so many different key patterns that im still not aware of
    *writes down on massive page of shortcuts*