How to do bulk copy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GamerDad, Mar 3, 2011.

1. GamerDad macrumors member

Sorry, I am a MAC newb, and in Windows Explorer this would be easy. I have a couple hundred Gb on a drive that I want to put on my new MBP into various locations. Is there a comparable program like Explorer? I guess maybe finder?

How do I tag "X" files, and then copy (drag / drop) them to folders that I want to move them to?

And, since i can't find a ringtone folder for my iphone on the Mac, where is that location supposed to be so I can move my ringtones from my PC? I am guessing there is an easy way to create a new folder?

I did a MRoogle search on the bulk copy but came up essentially empty handed. Thanks for the help. I'll get there....

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Select the files you want to copy with Command + click, then drag them to the location you want to copy them to.

3. GamerDad thread starter macrumors member

So, in Explorer if I want to copy a few hundred files at once, I would click (select) the top one, then scroll down, and shift click and all the files in between would highlight, and then I can do what I want with them. Do I do the same thing under Mac except substitute the Command key instead of the shift key?

4. qCzar macrumors regular

It's the same Shift+Click in Mac. For future reference, Command is Mac's equivalent to Control in Windows; CTRL+C would be CMND+C in Mac, etc.

5. Whitelightning macrumors regular

So how do you delete files from finder? Usually I press the delete key with Windows after highlighting/selecting the files..... it doesnt seem to have any effect on actually deleting a file in OSX.

6. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

CMD+Delete

7. GamerDad thread starter macrumors member

is there a program that will let you see 2 windows at once? Finder does not seem to want to open multiple instances.

8. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

Secondary click Finder, select "New Finder Window".