how to do fresh install without unnecessary apps?

sunrobby

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2006
143
0
Indonesia
Hi, i heard that the first step people will do when they get their Macs is to reinstall mac os x to get more free space because factory setting mac os x include all apps that actually some of them will not be used. How to do this? Where in Mac os x installation can i specify which apps i want and which apps i dont want? Thanks :)
 

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
707
1
UK
At one point there will be a button in the lower left side saying "customize".

click it and you can select which optional components are installed. commonly unwanted applications are ones like garageband and imovie which take up a lot of space if you don't use them.

i cant remember the exact time this option comes up in the process, but it is fairly near the beginning.
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
16,033
1
Portland, OR
No..

IMO, this practice is based in Windows-switchers. New PCs tend to come from the factory will all sorts of turds installed on them. This isn't quite the case for OS X. The "extras" you get are iLife (useful), and some productivity things like Office Test Drive, QuickBooks, OmniGraffle, etc. All of which are removalbe by dragging them to the trash.

No need for the pointless rigamarole of reinstalling the OS.

Beyond that, you can erase any of the iLife stuff you don't want via the same practice (drag -> trash).
 

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
1,921
26
MD/VA/DC
yellow said:
No..

IMO, this practice is based in Windows-switchers. New PCs tend to come from the factory will all sorts of turds installed on them. This isn't quite the case for OS X. The "extras" you get are iLife (useful), and some productivity things like Office Test Drive, QuickBooks, OmniGraffle, etc. All of which are removalbe by dragging them to the trash.

No need for the pointless rigamarole of reinstalling the OS.

Beyond that, you can erase any of the iLife stuff you don't want via the same practice (drag -> trash).
Agreed with Yellow here. So sunrobby you're really just looking at wasting time by reinstalling the OS. There are just a couple 3rd-party programs in your Applications folder that you can just trash if you really want to and that be it. Otherwise the rest are part of the system.
 

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
17,892
1,466
Palookaville
crees! said:
Agreed with Yellow here. So sunrobby you're really just looking at wasting time by reinstalling the OS. There are just a couple 3rd-party programs in your Applications folder that you can just trash if you really want to and that be it. Otherwise the rest are part of the system.
Likewise agreed. And get that dog to an orthodontist!
 

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
9,095
1
are you kidding me?
Mac OSX need 3GB disk space
pre-installed Mac OSX Tiger on your new mac took 20+GB space, and you telling me windows has more pre-installed junk? no way!
Its outrageous to see your new computer with 20+GB space being pre-occupied.
 

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
1,921
26
MD/VA/DC
clevin said:
are you kidding me?
Mac OSX need 3GB disk space
pre-installed Mac OSX Tiger on your new mac took 20+GB space, and you telling me windows has more pre-installed junk? no way!
Its outrageous to see your new computer with 20+GB space being pre-occupied.
Can someone translate this into proper english. I couldn't follow a damn thing said.
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
16,033
1
Portland, OR
Well, GarageBand and iDVD are monsterous in size. Those kinds of software (equivalent in quality) simply don't come on Windows installs typically. But I wasn't refering to size in any way/shape/form, sorry if that's what you took from it.

It's still not necessary to nuke/reinstall OS X since there's no 3rd party junk installed in "system spaces". The same CANNOT be said for a typically from-factory windows install.

crees! said:
Can someone translate this into proper english. I couldn't follow a damn thing said.
I believe he was refuting my earliest post.
 

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
2,259
4
Beds, UK
Also, i believe you can edit the drivers what OSX installs aswell. I was going to reinstall OSX on this G5 when i got it, but i simply couldnt be bothered. 160Gb is plenty for me to play with. And since ive installed everything i need on it, which took two days with playing around with it too and updates, like hell am i going to repeat that process.

If i had a smaller HD, then i may have bothered like i did on my old iMac..
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
16,033
1
Portland, OR
Of course, we never actually answered your question.

To do what you originally asked, just pop in & boot from the Installer DVD that came with the computer and follow the directives until you are able to choose "erase & install", which will (wait for it)

erase & reinstall OS X..

No 3rd party/iLife junk.

While I still maintain that it's not necessary.. there's how to do it. :)