Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James Cole

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
I suddenly can't start my iMac with lion (it just stays on the spinning disc with the apple logo)... Ran recovery mode... disk error says... INVALID SIBLING LINK and cannot be repaired... and disk utility just tells me to back up the files that I can... and reformat the drive...

Question is how do I backup my files if I can't access the OS... tried burning an image on an external drive... no luck because it copies the INVALID SIBLING LINK so I can't mount it in my other mac...

What can I do guys??? I need to recover those files ASAP...

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
I suddenly can't start my iMac with lion (it just stays on the spinning disc with the apple logo)... Ran recovery mode... disk error says... INVALID SIBLING LINK and cannot be repaired... and disk utility just tells me to back up the files that I can... and reformat the drive...

Question is how do I backup my files if I can't access the OS... tried burning an image on an external drive... no luck because it copies the INVALID SIBLING LINK so I can't mount it in my other mac...

What can I do guys??? I need to recover those files ASAP...

Can you boot into safe mode (power off, power on while holding down the spacebar)?

How about try resetting PRAM (power off, power on while holding down cmd-option-P-R and release when you hear the second chime).

Try SMC reset (power off, hold power button down for 10 seconds).

If all else fails take the computer to the Apple store explain your situation and see if they can help you out. You can probably boot in target disk mode (power on, holding down the T key) and copy off your files onto another HD and re-install followed by copying the files back onto the computer.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Just what im looking for thanks... But could you explain further how do I copy the files to an external HDD using disk target mode? Thanks!!'

Boot the iMac into target disk mode and connect it to another Mac computer via USB or firewire cable. The iMac HD would mount on the other Mac computer. Copy the files from the iMac HD to another HD.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Boot the iMac into target disk mode and connect it to another Mac computer via USB or firewire cable. The iMac HD would mount on the other Mac computer. Copy the files from the iMac HD to another HD.

Or an ethernet cable works if you have one around.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Firewire Target Disk Mode only works with Firewire.
Target Disk Mode also works over Thunderbolt. Both computers of course have to have with Thunderbolt ports, but seeing the original poster's signature, his MacBook Pro has one. It definitely does not work over Ethernet or USB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.