How to do initial set up of Dell U2410 with Macbook pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dspindl, Nov 29, 2011.

1. dspindl macrumors member

I received my Dell U2410. Will be hooking it up in the morning to my 17" Macbook pro. I have the Apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse, as well as the Apple MDP to DVI connector so I should be set to run in "Clamshell mode" and have read the instructions for doing so.
    Please forgive my ignorance, and for asking such lame questions but this is a first for me. What's the proper procedure for setting it up? I'm not talking about color calibration, just hooking it up for the first time. Do I just activate my bluetooth keyboard/mouse and connect the monitor? Or do I just connect the monitor? The Dell instructions show hooking up the DVI connector and power, but also say to hook up a USB cable. What's the USB cable for? When should the CD be used?
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

The USB cable is probably used for a built in hub in the monitor. It connects the monitor to your computer so that any additional devices connected to the monitor can be used. This is useful for connecting external hard drives that are used only when docked to the monitor at home, etc.

As for the CD that came with the monitor, unless it contains Mac OSX drivers, there is probably no need to use it. And even then, OSX will probably have the drivers for the monitor already. Just connect the monitor and OSX should detect it automatically.