Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Hi,

I want to place PDF into new layers in an InDesign document. All the layers are the same data (map) but they are not scaled... Like when you press Command + D to place something into InDesign you have to scale it yourself...

The document that I'm working with already has the object scaled, but when I place new layers (of the same map) I have to manually adjust each box and scale...

If there a way to make the new object match the size and placement of a current layer (I hope that makes sense!)

I've used the size and X/Y coordinates but that hasn't worked for some reason...

I have around 8 layers that need to match up to each other which is going to take a very long time (as the map is big)

Thank you very much.

PS I can provide screenshots if it help.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Probably best to give screenshots. In general I'd not go this way – I'd import all the PDF files into Illustrator and work on them in layers there. Then import the final .ai file into indesign.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
After importing your initial item, why don't you just duplicate the same layer eight times, importing different pages of the PDF but by replacing the selected item which keeps scaling and rotation attributes?

Or have I not understood what you're trying to do?

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Probably best to give screenshots. In general I'd not go this way – I'd import all the PDF files into Illustrator and work on them in layers there. Then import the final .ai file into indesign.

The map has 8 layers on it, each layer is finished with whatever information I want to show (indicated by colour). I take each layer from AI as a PDF file and import into ID. The reason for going from AI to ID is so that I can lay out the page easily and 'crop' the map as it's way too big.

Below shows a large map (AI Window) which has some of the information on it but needs cropping. The 2nd image which has been laid out in ID is what the finished page should look like.

The reason for having each layer separate is because I'm printing each layer on Acetate...

PS. The ID screenshot is the old version of my work. Since then the page has been altered and needs updating with each 'colour' on it's own layer in ID, not just AI.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-10 at 14.47.44.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-10 at 14.47.44.png
    436.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Screen shot 2010-10-10 at 14.50.53.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-10 at 14.50.53.png
    510.4 KB · Views: 72

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
After importing your initial item, why don't you just duplicate the same layer eight times, importing different pages of the PDF but by replacing the selected item which keeps scaling and rotation attributes?

Or have I not understood what you're trying to do?

You understood me perfectly!

When I have the layer duplicated, I update the link to the 'new' document but it didn't work... Also when you mean importing, should I delete the duplicated document then place the new one inside the existing border? If so then it didn't work as I had to manually re-scale...

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I've managed to get it right now... After duplicating the layer, I delete the old item, select the border then place the new item in the same border...

Thank You :D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Also when you mean importing, should I delete the duplicated document then place the new one inside the existing border? If so then it didn't work as I had to manually re-scale...

Even though you've come to a solution, I'll just expand on what I mean. You don't have to delete the existing contents of the box, you can just import the same or a different file, ensuring that the check box on the lower right hand side of the Place dialogue box has 'Replace Selected Item'. This imports the image at the same scale and orientation as the previous image.

Thank You :D

No worries. :)

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Even though you've come to a solution, I'll just expand on what I mean. You don't have to delete the existing contents of the box, you can just import the same or a different file, ensuring that the check box on the lower right hand side of the Place dialogue box has 'Replace Selected Item'. This imports the image at the same scale and orientation as the previous image.

No worries. :)

Great! I love AI/ID!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
I spoke to soon...

The first layer worked fine, but now when I place something else in, it either doesn't fit to the scale, or nothing shows up at all...

Any ideas why this may be?

NStocks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 3, 2008
England
Ok.

The map that is working is a pre-made map made in AutoCAD. The layers I've added where created in the same format and exported exactly the same way. However, it seems to be the layers that I've personally created that don't fit the scale... I'm not sure how this is though because I just added more layers in AI.

When I export the layers from AI, I turn off and lock the layers I don't need, then Save As PDF...

Could there be anything inside the AI layers that need altering?

Thank You

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.