how to do this:

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by j2048b, Mar 26, 2011.

1. j2048b macrumors 6502a

i want to move my iTunes, pics and such and all of my apps to an external or separate drive, is this possible?

and still have osx know where they are and activate them?

thanks

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. j2048b thread starter macrumors 6502a

no , i wanted to see if i could move my entire iTunes library, including movies, pics, downloads, documents and put them all on a separate hard drive, and have mac OS read them from that hard drive?

also wondering if you could do that with all installed applications as well?

thanks

so the os would be on its own har drive, and all apps on a different one along with all itunes and stuff listed above on its own hard drive?

4. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Go to iTunes > Preferences > Advanced, and change iTunes Media Folder Location.

5. Relentlos macrumors member

Relentlos

Would that move everything?

I would just quit iTunes, find my iTunes folder ~/Music/iTunes, copy it, and paste it on the external HDD. After everything copies over, hold option, open iTunes, and select "choose location" when prompted. Point it to the library file on the external HDD.

Of course I'm still running OS X Tiger 10.4, so I can't be 100% sure that it would work with new versions of iTunes.