How to downgrade a jailbroken phone?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by majordude, Jul 19, 2010.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I have a 3G and OS4 on it. And man is it SLOW! (Very sluggish!) So I want to go back to OS3 something. How do I do that?

Do I restore it in iTunes and then jailbreak it again or do I use redsn0w to downgrade it?

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Shift-restore (Win) or option-restore (Mac) to the firmware you desire. If you get a 1015 error, use TinyUmbrella or RecBoot to kick you out of the resulting recovery mode loop.

3. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Option-restore? Would you please this explain more? What program am I doing that in?

I'm still lost as to what I have to do. Restore it to a "real" iPhone then jailbreak again or just use the jailbreaker to downgrade.

I found this link http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2010/06/how-to-downgrade-from-ios-4-to-iphone-3-1-3/ ... is this what I need to do then jailbreak again?

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Option-restore means hold down your option key and click "Restore" in iTunes. This will allow you to select the firmware you want to restore to, rather than using the most recent one from Apple (currently 4.0.1). You can get the firmware you want from The iPhone Wiki. When you are done your downgrade, you may get an error message (1015) and be stuck in recovery mode. As I said, download either RecBoot or TinyUmbrella. Each of those small utilities is able to kick your phone out of recovery mode.

When your downgrade is done, you can of course jailbreak as you normally would. I suggest using an iClarified tutorial.

ETA: firmware downgrades must always be done in DFU mode.

5. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Make sure you have all your stuff on your computer because you won't be able to restore your phone from a 4.0 backup.

6. str0ppy macrumors member

When you upgraded to 4.0 did you restore and set up as a new phone?

7. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Thanks all. I now have a bricked iPhone 3G. :(

PSYCH! :eek:

I'm pulling your legs! :D

I now have a fully jailbroken and unlocked iPhone 3G running v.3.1.3 and modem firmware 05.13.04! :cool:

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

Yeah we know your pulling our legs since Bricked and Iphone are very over used words.. any way glad your set.. :D and most people don't like 4.0 on 3g and lower! ;)

9. tooshaggy macrumors regular

tooshaggy

My 3G was REALLY SLOW when I upgraded to 4.0.
    I read a lot on it and decided the best thing to do was try a new download and restore of iOS4.
    The result was a faster 3G with os4.
    I do have my iPhone 4 on order.
    Just can't stand not to have the newest stuff.

10. majordude thread starter macrumors 68020

majordude

Really?!

I was shocked how sluggish and, at times, UNUSABLE iOS 4.0 was. I'd click the home button and a bit later the password screen would come up. I'd type in my four numbers and it would register two. Then the third. Then the fourth.

Then it would load.

Then it would think for about 10 seconds.

Screw that!

11. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

It's well known that iOS 4.0 is very laggy on a 3G if you have the background and the multitasking on. When I had 4.0 on my 3G I had to turn off those functions to get it to work right.

Categories was fine. It's just old hardware w/ new software.

Hope that helps,