How to downgrade back to 3.2.2 from 4.2 beta1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lexbrooks, Sep 18, 2010.

1. lexbrooks macrumors newbie

Hello I upgrade my Ipad to the beta of 4.2 worked but when I tried to restore itunes said my ipad was not part of the developer program which correct.
    the only option is gives me is to eject it and now all my ipad does is show the activation where it want to be plugged in to itunes. what should I do ?

never mind I figured it out :D

2. lozpop macrumors 6502

How did you solve it? Did you restart the iPad in DFU mode and then restored it?

3. gunthermic macrumors 6502

How can one downgrade back to 3.2.2 from 4.2 beta1.

4. lexbrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

download recboot and place your ipad in recoverymode and restore from a backup you made while running 3.2.2 that what I did I just made a post very similar to your but no one helped me

5. lexbrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded recboot to put it in recovery mode and booted up a clone of hard drive that was a week old or so and restored the ipad with a backup it had if it running 3.2.2 ( you don't have to do that i just did not want to set it up as new again) and sync'd it to my internal drive that had more more up to date itunes stuff on it

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

BTW, why did you go back? I wonder if i'm going to have problems.

I just am impatient with this update as I think the November time frame is way out of line. I mean, why the wait?

I don't get it. Makes me think there's something wrong with the implementation.

7. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

It's easy as doing a simple restore. People forget that Apple is still signing 3.2.2 so it's no big deal at all to downgrade.

I had to downgrade because I kept having wifi/settings issues and I'm not always near a computer. Will try to beta 2 next week if it comes out.

8. gunthermic macrumors 6502

So you din't use RecBoot? Just select to restore from iTunes menu and it goes back?

Does Recboot make ipad jailbroken?

9. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

yep just restore and it goes to the last stored firmware. mine was 3.2.2 because I recently got my iPad.

10. lexbrooks thread starter macrumors newbie

I went back cause for some unknow reason it would not let me sign up for 3g the option was not there but it was still picking up the signal

11. gunthermic macrumors 6502

Confused a bit.

I see others talking about using the restore function to after upgradign to 4.2 to get thiers apps and save game data back onto 4.2. But you say just hit restore and it will go back to firmware 3.2.2

12. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

oops. forgot to add that when you restore it will ask you to setup as a new iPad or restore from backup. that's where you can select the backup of your last 3.2.2 sync.

13. gunthermic macrumors 6502

Okay, now that makes more sense then. LOl side question though. Can you have multiple backups? in iTunes? I have turned off syncing just before i went to 4.2 becuase i didn't want to overwrite 3.2.2 backup.

What would happen if you select new iPad?

14. gunthermic macrumors 6502

Well

Okay tried to restore back to 3.2.2 and get 1015 error. Can someone please give step by steps how to restore an non jail broken iPad back to 3.2.2. from 4.2

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Ask Apple. To access 4.2 beta you have to be a developer or developer tester. You ARE a developer aren't you?
    :rolleyes:

16. gunthermic macrumors 6502

Thank you for your answer. Anyone else have a constructive answer?

17. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

If you have Xcode there is a "Restore" button that lets you select from different firmware versions on your computer. Once that is done you can restore your backup content in iTunes.

Otherwise you may be able to downgrade through iTunes through an older *.ipsw file. I am not certain of this, though.

18. gunthermic macrumors 6502

I have used the 3.2.2 ipsw, but keep getting error 1015. Which from my understanding is becuase it is stuck in recovery mode?
    iPad is stuck at iTunes to USB screen. Tried the hold power/hoem button to hard rest, nothign always comes back to same screen. iTunes see's ipad becuase it always comes up saying it needs to be restored.

19. cliegal macrumors member

I tried all the tricks and ended up taking mine back to the Apple Store. They tried to restore it and were unsuccessful as well. They exchanged it for a new iPad.

20. gunthermic macrumors 6502

Just figured a way. I found a program called umbrella, it allowed me to kick iPad out of recovery mode and then it restored back to 3.2.2