How to Downgrade firmware AND baseband? Help?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MarceePauff, Jul 13, 2009.

1. MarceePauff macrumors member

Can anyone direct me to, or post themselves, a step-by-step guide on how to downgrade my 1st Gen iPhone with 3.0 and 04.05.04_G Baseband to 2.2.1 with 2.3(ish) baseband?

Basically, ever since the 3.0 upgrade, my phone cannot find or connect to any wifi and I'd like to downgrade. I'd rather have wifi than copy/paste. Seriously.

Seems the basic downgrade to 2.2.1 doesn't work unless you can downgrade the baseband as well...

Help?

Thanks.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Before you go that route, if it can even be done, what have you done to fix the problems you're having? Have you restored? Spoke to a Genius?

3. MarceePauff thread starter macrumors member

Oh yes. Restored multiple times to different backups. Restored to factory settings and didn't sync. Restarted. Restored network settings. Nothing works. It doesn't even see the networks -- not even in the apple store. And even after a restart or reset, it might see the network for a moment...I try to connect, it drops the connection and the network disappears.

Seems like this is a known problem with 3.0 and those who were able to exchange for an older refurb with 2.2.1 (and older baseband) on it have claimed that the problem was solved.

Genius couldn't help me because I'm out of warranty (even though the phone was working fine until the software update...grrr). So yeah, I'm at the point where I'd really just like to drop down to the older software that worked.

Thanks!

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

The baseband has nothing to do with WiFi, so you needn't worry about downgrading the baseband (It's not even possible anyway).
    Just downgrade back to 2.2.1. Your baseband will stay at 4.26.08, which isn't a problem.

6. MarceePauff thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping to avoid jailbreaking/quickpwning and just downgrade "all legally and stuff". Is there anyway to "properly" downgrade?

Thanks again for the replies guys!