How To Downgrade IOS 8 or IOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by touchdown100, Sep 20, 2014.

1. touchdown100 macrumors member

How to Downgrade IOS 8 or IOS 7

I tried, without success, to downgrade IOS 7 not long after it came out. It did not work because as I am sure you all know Apple stopped this practice.

I did some digging around and think that I may have found a way to get past this.
    I am still wading through the process as it is a bit complicated but I believe it works.
    Here are the instructions.

Disclaimer

If this does not work or if it messes anything up then it is not my fault and you do this at your own risk.

I have not attempted this as at present moment I am happy with IOS 8 so do not need to downgrade.

Step 1

Download IOS 6 or whatever IOS version you want.
    (make sure it is compatible with your Iphone)

Step 2

Download IOS 8 and using an editor such as Plist editor etc go into the file itself (it is just an archive so I am sure you know how to do that on mac). You want the actual IOS file itself which will be the biggest file there.

Step 3

Rename the file to something else and move it to a safe place on your hard drive

Step 4

take the same file from IOS 6 or the IOS you wish to downgrade to and put it in the place of the file that you just moved.

Step 5

you may need to rename the new older iOS file to the same name as the newer IOS file you moved.

Then using Itunes go through the downgrade process and it should work.

Reasons why is because the signature file of the newer IOS file such as IOS 8 will pass the checks that Apple do through itunes but the actual file itself will be of the older IOS that does not have as far as I know, any signature file etc and is just the code that makes up the OS.

As I say i have not tried it so do not know if it would work but if it does let me know

good luck

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

No. Just no. There is so much wrong with this its not even funny

3. ajay96 macrumors 6502

It's not possible lol. Only 7.1.2 evaluate its being signed still.

4. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

I can confirm this does in fact work.

I just downgraded my new iPhone 6 to iOS 6 because:

1. The numbers match, which is cool.

2. iOS 8 is laggy as all get out and full of bloatware.

3. iOS 7 is a turd.

4. I prefer Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar... go buy a block and enjoy like a candy bar.

5. iOS 6 is the best iOS and is snappy as hell especially on the new phone.

5. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

1. Read bizarre instructions from MacRumors Newbie.

2. Blindly follow advice from someone who has not tried bizarre instructions.

3. Let Newbie know that it didn't work.

4. ???

5. Profit!!!