How to downgrade iPhone software to enable tethering via developer profile

rivkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
Hi. I have an iPhone 3GS running 3.1.3. I want to install a developer profile to enable tethering (AT&T) without jailbreaking. How can I do this? I tried installing the developer profile (while running 3.1.3) and it installed, but it didn't work. Is there a hardware restriction as well?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You wont be able to downgrade your firmware unless you have your SHSH's saved either locally or on Cydia.
And since you were not JB before you probably dont have either so I dont think its going to happen.

rivkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
You wont be able to downgrade your firmware unless you have your SHSH's saved either locally or on Cydia.
And since you were not JB before you probably dont have either so I dont think its going to happen.
But what about the thing where you can press Shift and restore, and use a downloaded version of 3.1.2?

Makaveli6103

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Kansas City, MO
But what about the thing where you can press Shift and restore, and use a downloaded version of 3.1.2?
That wont work if you dont have your SHSH on file with cydia. When you press Shift and restore you can click on a 3.1.2 software but ituens talks to apple HQ and will not authorize it. when you have your SHSH on file you trick itunes into allowing 3.1.2 by itunes talking to another server.

rivkid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
That wont work if you dont have your SHSH on file with cydia. When you press Shift and restore you can click on a 3.1.2 software but ituens talks to apple HQ and will not authorize it. when you have your SHSH on file you trick itunes into allowing 3.1.2 by itunes talking to another server.
Ok, thanks. I never jailbreaked, so I don't have any cydia stuff. is there any way i can still unlock tethering from 3.1.3 on a 3GS without jailbreaking?

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
hey, yeah, you're right. all of these developers and hackers just hadn't thought of that yet. :rolleyes:

no. you cant do it.