How to downgrade iTunes 10

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by taylert123, Sep 2, 2010.

1. taylert123 macrumors newbie

Being a not very smart guy, I updated to 10 and realized I dislike it.

Is there a simple way for me to downgrade? I have a time machine backup, but I've done enough since then that I don't want to completely restore from a backup, if I can just the iTunes application.

Can I reinstall the older version without removing my play counts/playlists/stuff like that?

thanks!

2. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

Seconded. I just downloaded iTunes 10 a few minutes ago and...
    [​IMG]

3. Melanotis macrumors newbie

Melanotis

I'm not sure about play counts because I turned that off. What you need to do is:

1) Take the new itunes out of the application folder,
    2) Go into time machine, grab yesterdays version (Or at least before the update) and hit restore
    3) Go to music->itunes and take out the file named "itunes library"
    4) Go back into time machine and go to whatever version you chose and go to music->itunes, select the file named "itunes library" and hit restore.

It's important you do both because the old version of itunes can't use the updated library.

4. Ziet macrumors newbie

thx

I found that itunes 10 deleted my songs from my playlist, so i'm happy that this is an option! =) , also itunes 10 didn't sort my playlist correctly, "artist over album"!

5. polygial macrumors newbie

download itunes directly from apple

Here is the link to download itunes 9.2.1 directly from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/

Just look for itunes. It is 101.8MB

Make sure to delete itunes from the applications folder. Also delete ItunesX.pkg from Library/Receipts

Also you will have to go into the music folder under your user account and delete the file iTunes Library, it has the iTunes logo on it with LIB on the icon.

The older iTunes version cannot read the file as it was formatted by iTunes 10. You will have to import all the songs again and create new playlists (yeah I know that sucks) unless you have a backup copy of your library somewhere.

This process has worked for me. Good Luck! Long live iTunes 9.2.1!!!

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Forgive me for being thick, but what exactly is there to dislike that was so much better on 9.x?

There haven't been many (if any) drastic changes in functionality. It's only a few UI tweaks.

7. TheStork macrumors regular

TheStork

iTunes 10 Broke NAS iTunes Servers

iTunes 10 broke almost all the NAS' iTunes compatible servers (mt-daapd). Evidently, most NAS owners are using this capability, and it caught them by surprise.

The AppleToolBox web site has a complete step-by-step instructions and links on how to download 9.2.1 and restore your v10 reformated iTunes library.

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Aha, that's a bit of a stuff up.

9. section31 macrumors member

Thanks Melanotis. Worked perfectly. iTunes broke my NAS streaming as well which is worth far more to me than anything iTunes 10 has to offer.

10. Melanotis macrumors newbie

Melanotis

You are very welcome. Anytime :)

11. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

FAIL, Apple....... FAIL

Glad I came across this thread. I had a feeling, since my MBA still has the old iTunes and my Mac Pro has iTunes10, and my Mac Pro can no longer see my shared iTunes on NAS.

Give Apple about six months to correct this colossal blunder. :mad:

12. D'Illusion macrumors regular

The update did change the way things were ordered but you can change it back to how it was before. I was annoyed at first but soon had things back the old way.

13. miknos Suspended

miknos

You're correct. Luckily iTunes saves the previous Library files in USER/Music/iTunes/Previous iTunes Libraries. Just remove the date from the filename and overwrite the Library located in USER/Music/iTunes.

I made a new thread here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11045416#post11045416