How to downgrade Snow Leopard to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GSX, Feb 28, 2010.

1. GSX macrumors member

Hi,

I just got a Mac Mini to use as a HTPC. It came with Snow Leopard installed, but I want to switch back to Leopard.

I have a Leopard disc(legal, official disc), but I can't get it to install.

I tried inserting the disc and installing from the disc. After I select to install I am prompted to restart the computer, but when I do that the computer just keeps re-booting. I waited for five reboots, but when it did not seem to be working I manually turned off the power.

I tried to erase the HD with Disk Utility, but it is grayed out and I can't do anything there either.

I tried booting from the disc, but I can't do that either.

Can somebody help me out here. This is really frustrating. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is.:confused:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can't install an earlier version of OS X than the version that shipped with the machine.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is the Leopard disc a retail copy or one that came with a computer?

4. GSX thread starter macrumors member

Really?

That seems strange. Shouldn't I be able to erase the HD and start over at the very least?:confused:

It came with my iMac that I got about 2 years ago.

Does that make a difference?

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, it makes a difference
    It is a restore disc and not a retail disc and it won't work
    It only works with the computer it comes with

6. GSX thread starter macrumors member

The disc says "Mac OS X Install Disc" on it has version 10.5.2.

So I thought it was a full copy of Leopard.

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If it is the gray restore disc, it will only work with your iMac it came with

You would need a retail copy of Leopard

8. GSX thread starter macrumors member

Yes it is a gray disc.

Darn.

Well I guess I am stuck with Snow Leopard then.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I probably should had asked these questions sooner though. Could have saved myself a few hours of frustration.:eek:

9. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

You just got your question answered, but out of curiosity - why do you need the downgrade? Is it software-specific? I can understand that. Otherwise, I think it's either Snow Leopard or Tiger.

(Or XP) :D

By the way, I had a Snow Leopard upgrade disc and albeit it is not 'legal', I did a clean reinstall without having Leopard installed. If you want the strongest version of Snow Leopard, avoid installing UPON Leopard. There are threads about how to do it.

EDIT: I'm not saying that without owning a legit copy, you should buy the cheap version of SL. What I'm saying is that you can have a clean install of SL without compromising it with another OS installed beforehand.

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I'd advise a fresh install of SL, if you haven't already. My upgrade from L was naff, I'm guessing due to the convert from 32bit to 64bit.
    A fresh install has been a breath of fresh air.

11. larkost macrumors 6502a

For the record, you have two things in your way to downgrading:

1) You are trying to use the disk that shipped with a different model of computer, and Apple locks these to the model of computer they shipped with.

2) Since your computer shipped with a newer version of the OS, the older versions of the OS don't know how to drive the newer hardware. Sometimes you can get it to sort-of work anyways, but this is going to be a bit dangerous since the older OS does not know how to properly drive the fans and other hardware, so you might wind up driving the computer to heat-death. Usually it just does not work.

12. GSX thread starter macrumors member

Well actually the reason I wanted Leopard over Snow Leopard was over a small piece of software.

I want to use the Mini as a HTPC. I want to use a combination of Plex and Front Row to handle my movies, music, photos, etc. I want the Mini to launch Front Row automatically when I boot up so it starts right in Front Row.

There is a plugin at http://www.holeintheceiling.com/blog/front-row-plugins/ that lets me add Plex to the Front Row menu. I can then launch Plex from Front Row.

With the plugin in for Leopard when I quit Plex it takes me back to the Front Row menu. Unfortunately the plugin for Snow Leopard is buggy and does not work as well as the Leopard one. When I quit Plex it just goes back to the desk top.

So that is my reason for wanting Leopard over Snow Leopard. It's not a huge deal, but I am just trying to make using the Mini as easy as possible for my family.

Probably most people will probably think I am crazy though. :D

Thanks for the tips.

The Mini is actually an older 2009 model. I got it in the refurb section of the Apple Store. So I think Leopard would not be too much of a problem.

I'll just stick with Snow Leopard. It's not so bad. My reason for switching was more for convenience than anything else.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ummm I believe you can. Anything pointing to why you couldn't if you erase and install?

Why is Leopard more convenient OP?

14. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

In that case, find threads and tips about the clean/clear install. However, If your computer came with SL pre-installed, there might be no need for that either. I've had a mid-2009 MB Pro with Leopard, a clean SL install did it good. (After some serious HDD and RAM upgrade to get rid off beach balls).

15. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2186?viewlocale=en_US

So I guess the verdict is you might be able to install it, but the risk of messing your system up is very high.