How to Downgrade to 10.8 from 10.9?

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I hate 10.9. I haven't seen a beach ball on my Mac for years. Now, everything is slow and i get the rainbow ball from hell every minute.
I tried to install 10.8 but it won't allow me. I don't want to have to reformat the 1TB HD and do a time machine restore. It will take too long.
Anyone know a work around please? :confused:

waronxmas

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
I don't want to have to reformat the 1TB HD and do a time machine restore. It will take too long.
Anyone know a work around please? :confused:
That's the only way you can downgrade. The Mac OS X installer will not install an older version of the OS on to a drive with a new version installed on it.

What is the nature of your beach balls though? Mavericks has been working great for me, but I have some app oddness I'm chalking up to not having been updated to Mavericks yet.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
That's the only way you can downgrade. The Mac OS X installer will not install an older version of the OS on to a drive with a new version installed on it.

What is the nature of your beach balls though? Mavericks has been working great for me, but I have some app oddness I'm chalking up to not having been updated to Mavericks yet.
Aperture is unresponsive. Photoshop cs6 is slower and the menus get "stuck"
I am a pro and have A super fast Mac Pro that now feels like a Mac
Mini. I need a system that keeps up with my daily work. Luckily I didn't upgrade this morning or I couldn't have worked today at
All. I need reliability.
I don't care for maps,iBooks and the tags are a good idea but useless
For me. So no real reason to upgrade.
I decided to do a full restore to 10.8.5 and I will see what happens in December when I get the new Mac Pro. Mavericks should be at 10.9.3 by then.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Aperture is unresponsive. Photoshop cs6 is slower and the menus get "stuck"
I am a pro and have A super fast Mac Pro that now feels like a Mac
Mini. I need a system that keeps up with my daily work. Luckily I didn't upgrade this morning or I couldn't have worked today at
All. I need reliability.
I don't care for maps,iBooks and the tags are a good idea but useless
For me. So no real reason to upgrade.
I decided to do a full restore to 10.8.5 and I will see what happens in December when I get the new Mac Pro. Mavericks should be at 10.9.3 by then.
When you boot up initially, Spotllight is re-indexing which will slow down your computer.

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
I think 10.8 is still available in the store to DL if thats how you bought it. If so just download it, make a bootable USB and use that to go back to 10.8

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
When you boot up initially, Spotllight is re-indexing which will slow down your computer.
No, the dot inside the magnifying glass wasn't there.
Time machine was not backing up and there
Were no other apps open.
I have 32gb of ram and the fastest SSD. My machine hauled ass on 10.8.
It doesn't matter, I will have my machine back to 10.8.5 by tomorrow morning.
Thanks to time Machine ;)

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
I think 10.8 is still available in the store to DL if thats how you bought it. If so just download it, make a bootable USB and use that to go back to 10.8
Thanx for your reply. I had a copy of the installer but it wouldn't let me install unless
I Reformatted the HD.
That's what I did. It should all be good
Tomorrow. Back to 10.8

Mac.User

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2013
Thanx for your reply. I had a copy of the installer but it wouldn't let me install unless
I Reformatted the HD.
That's what I did. It should all be good
Tomorrow. Back to 10.8

Ah yes I should have mentioned that. Its not a downgrader, you have to wipe and start clean.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Did you download the Aperture 3.5 update? Do you have the latest patch (if any) for CS6?
No, I didn't know there was a 3.5.
My software update didn't show it.
I have been using 3.2.4. Even on 10.8, aperture 3.3 and up we're giving me a lot of trouble. Video glitches, slow performance and I hate the all grey icons.