How to downgrade to IOS 8 using IOS9 backup

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by conepwnd, Jul 27, 2015.

1. conepwnd, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015

conepwnd macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2015
    So I recently updated my phone to IOS 9, everything was pretty good until my action camera app couldn't work with my phone because of IOS 9. I know this because I tried it on my friends Iphone and it worked fine.

Now I would like to downgrade my phone back to IOS 8, I know you click Restore iPhone then use a backup but the problem is it won't be able to use the IOS 9 backup.

Is there anyway to downgrade my phone to an IOS 8 version using a IOS 9 backup of the phone?

Thanks, Enoc

Attached Files:

2. lagwagon Suspended

Oct 12, 2014
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    I do not think backups are allowed cross version. At least not from a higher version of iOS to a lower (9 to 8, 8 to 7, 7 to 6...and so on.)
  3. daijholt macrumors 65816

Jun 14, 2013
    Wales, UK
    One of my colleagues mentioned this to me earlier this month, but I suggest you make a copy of the entire backup folder before doing this, as I've been meaning to verify if this actually works but just haven't yet had the time.

On Windows, go to %appdata%\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\ or to wherever your iOS 9 backup is stored in OS X.

If you have multiple folders in this directory, You can find which is your iOS 9 backup by checking the time and date of each folder's creation against the time and date shown for this backup in iTunes.

Find and Edit the Info.plist file with a text editor.

Look for this inside the file:
    <key>Product Version</key>

Change the iOS version from 9.0 to whatever version you're restoring to and save it. Then try restoring your backup to an iOS 8 device.

Also, if you do give it a go before I do, let us know if it works!
  4. conepwnd thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2015
    Thanks for the reply, I am a little scared to try it but I have created a backup of the folder and it should be fine. I'll try it out tomorrow seeing that I need my phone for tomorrow.

I'll be sure to get back to you
  5. Shirasaki macrumors 604

May 16, 2015
    Before trying out this method, I would recommend you do a backup of your current iOS 9, downgrade, and make a backup of iOS 8 once completed.

If I were you, I would try to manually merge them by copying app Data to new iOS 8 backup. Plus, if you simply change that version number to 8.4, for example, new settings and removed settings from iOS 8 to iOS 9 would cause problems.
  6. techspin macrumors 6502a

Jul 21, 2014
    For the sake of tinkering, I attempted to move the PB1 messages file to an 8.4 backup. Received an error message before backup could begin.
  7. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Dec 15, 2013
    New York
    This is interesting. Can't wait to see if someone can do it successfully.
  8. saudor macrumors 6502

Jul 18, 2011
    It was possible in previous versions.. havent tried it with 9 to 8. One thing for sure is, you'll lose app data since sandbox is no longer accessible in 8.3+

Messages may be another story
  9. zorinlynx macrumors 601

May 31, 2007
    Florida, USA
    I have hacked the version number in a backup to restore to an earlier OS version before.

It broke things in subtle, very annoying ways. I had to revert to the last "real" backup I made using that version.

It's not worth the risk of doing this; you might lose data or find yourself unable to use your device. Either revert to the last iOS 8 backup you made, or just sweat out the iOS 9 irritations until they are fixed.
  10. bushido Suspended

Mar 26, 2008
    i think the last time this method worked was ging from iOS 6 to 5
  11. v1597psh macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2014
    Done this with iOS 7 last summer. Messages haven't been restored