How to download a game?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by c0c0puppeh, Jul 24, 2010.

1. c0c0puppeh macrumors newbie

So I got my first ever Mac and I wanted to download a game from a site. I did, but then when i clicked it, it said that that I had no setup application. I'm stuck and I do not know what to open it with. Help please? :confused::confused: And the shortcut on the desktop has a " .exe " and the end.

2. psxguru macrumors 6502a

What site and game are you trying to download?

If it's .exe then it's a windows game so it won't run natively on a Mac.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As the .exe file indicates, you have to make sure you download a Mac OS X compatible game, which means, it should be stated on the page from where you download from, that the game is compatible to Mac OS X and that what you download is the file for Mac OS X.

Can you provide a link to the site you download your games from?

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

4. Wordslinger29 macrumors member

If you're looking for games in general, try popcap.com, or download Steam, which has a bunch of Mac games. Just make sure you select the Mac tab, or else you'll be browsing PC-only games. Only thing with Steam is I believe you have to have an internet connection to play games, even if they're single player.

5. c0c0puppeh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, this is where I got one of my games from, but it said on the site that I would be able to download it.

http://www.iwin.com/games/nanny-mania

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Well I suppose it did, but, just because you can download it doesn't mean that you can use it.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can download any file you want, even if it is meant for another operating system (OS), that's why you should look at the System Requirements when you want to download applications (games are applications too).

[​IMG] >>>>> [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. c0c0puppeh thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess.. but I still don't get it.. it says that I need a setup file to run the game on and I'm not sure what to use.
    And would a Mac OS X be better than a Windows XP?

9. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The game requires Windows. Therefore a Mac cannot play it.

10. c0c0puppeh thread starter macrumors newbie

ohhhhh.. I see.. thanks

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

angelwatt used fewer and simpler words to bring my point across, thus my elaborate reply is void. Wasn't that good anyway.

c0c0puppeh, do you know the difference between Mac OS X and Windows?

12. c0c0puppeh thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I do. Windows is what I used to have, which ran all my games. Mac is the apple computer which won't run any of my games.

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Then why did you switch? You know, you could install Windows via Boot Camp, or if all those games you want to play have requirements like that Nanny game, you could install Windows as a virtual machine - VM (Parallels Desktop, VMWare Fusion, Virtual Box) and run those games there.

MRoogle will find you plenty of threads about Boot Camp or VMs.

Btw, Windows is the name of the OS Microsoft wrote, Mac OS X is the name of the OS Apple puts on their Macs.

14. phatqao macrumors member

phatqao

the '.exe' extension is windows-specific. in my experience, i've never seen a .exe that runs on a mac

edit: correction...i've never seen a .exe run natively in OS X

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

FAIL.

Mac as a computer can run both Mac OS X and Windows games via bootcamp or virtualization.

16. psxguru macrumors 6502a

If you're into all those casual games then head over to bigfish games, they seem to be the ones who publish all those type of games. They also do Mac versions of them...

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/1662/mac/nannymania/index.html

17. c0c0puppeh thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, well thanks guys for all your advice. But I didn't need to be criticized for my lack of understanding technology. All I needed to know was if I could download that game and if I was able to, how. But I think I have my answer.