How to Download BBC Flash Video not on iPlayer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by assscat, Jan 27, 2010.

1. assscat macrumors regular

2. PiusPatronus macrumors member

PiusPatronus

I know a way around it on Windows (although I have not tried it out on a mac yet) but the problem is if its alright posting here concerns about getting videos if you reside in another country that you are not in.

3. assscat thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm in the UK so that isn't a concern for me. If you'd prefer to PM me any possible solution, I'd appreciate it.

4. assscat thread starter macrumors regular

Of course, if anyone else has any ideas about this problem, it would be great to hear them!

5. happygareth macrumors newbie

Downloadhelper

If I want to grab a flash video off a site I usually use download helper. It's a Firefox plugin. Seems to do the job OK.
    There are similar plugins for Firefox.
    You don't always get the best quality but should get you what you want. Unable to test on that exact page as I am at currently at work.

6. happygareth macrumors newbie

Sorry

Just tried downloadhelper and it didn't work. Sorry.

7. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

yeh its a bit odd it dosent show in the main iplayer page ive found that quite a bit with iplayer, as its a concert a easy solution is to use audiohijack and make a mp3 of it .

8. assscat thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the suggestion, but I really want a copy of the video. I hope there's a solution.

9. assscat thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for trying!

Thanks for the suggestion, but I really would like a copy of the video. There must be a way!

10. PiusPatronus macrumors member

PiusPatronus

When you said "It doesn't seemt to appear in the iPlayer" is there some sort of error message that is shown or is it just a blank iPlayer?

11. assscat thread starter macrumors regular

What I meant was the video isn't available via the iPlayer page: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/ because it isn't a full programme. It's a video shot during a BBC Scotland radio show. (There are lots of 'stand-alone' videos like this all over the BBC's web sites.)

If the video was on the iPlayer page, then there are a few applications I could use to download it. But as it only appears on its own page, those applications don't work for various reasons. That's why I'm searching for an alternative solution.

12. PiusPatronus macrumors member

PiusPatronus

Oh ok. Now I am up to speed with your problem.

So let me get this straight, you want to download that video to your local machine but the problem is that the video you have shown is not available through the iPlayer therefore the applications that you use are rendered unusable.

In that case, I do not have a Mac alternative to that problem. I know a Windows based solution if you want, but since I am new to Macs myself, I do not know how to extract flash videos from websites.

An answer to this would be very nice to know though.

13. Slarti Bartfast, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  14. assscat thread starter macrumors regular

That's it!

Could you let me know the windows solution? I can always use a friend's PC if a mac solution can't be found.

15. assscat thread starter macrumors regular

I've seen this, and unfortunately no. It requires the video to have an iPlayer listing/ID, which only videos accessible via the iPlayer page have. And the applications I mentioned above are all based on this. But thanks for looking!

16. PiusPatronus macrumors member

PiusPatronus

There is a program I use in my Windows based machine called Replay Media Catcher. It pretty much captures any sort of streaming flash objects in your browser and saves it locally (may it be Youtube, MegaVideo and pretty much anything you can stream through flash).

Its a pay to use program but definitely worth it to buy.

17. assscat thread starter macrumors regular

OK, thanks. Hopefully somebody has a mac-based solution!

18. glowfly macrumors member

Thanks for the info i will try it.

19. Dusty Bin macrumors newbie

Dusty Bin

14 months on from the original thread being opened, I'm looking to do the same thing as asscat was.

Any Mac solutions yet please anybody? :)

20. billiebach macrumors newbie

Video from bbc site not inlayer

HELP!

I have exactly the same problem. I wish to copy a video as it has our school choir singing. Sadly our teacher (the choir leader) has died and we really want to capture this video. Please help!

I have a MacBook OS X. (New Mac owner - little bit clueless)

21. Enzedder macrumors member

I tried this once it worked for me, see if it works for you?

Open the page containing the video in Safari.
    Under the 'Window' menu option choose 'Activity', this will show you all the links on this page.
    In the list you should see a direct link to your flash file (probably ending in .flv, .mp4, or .mov).
    Either paste that line into a new browser window and save the file or paste it into the URL section of something like the iPlayer Downloader app for saving.
    VLC or something similar can be used to play it after downloading.

Good luck :)