How to download Bing wallpaper from Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maputodave, Dec 9, 2009.

1. maputodave macrumors newbie

Hi all, I've just returned to Mac after a long time in the Windows world, and am getting re-acquainted. In Windows, I used to copy the Bing wallpaper images that I thought were especially pretty, using the standard right click and copy. Ended up with jpegs. But I can't figure it out in Safari. Checked into Bing wallpaper downloaders, but don't find anything for Mac platform. I'm happy to do it manually, or with some type of automatic downloader. Any suggestions? Thanks much. I'm glad to be back with macs, but still have some learning to do.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'm not understanding the problem.

Right-click image -> Save image as...

Am I misunderstanding?

3. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Why cant you just right click and select "use image as desktop background"?

4. maputodave thread starter macrumors newbie

neither of those are options

Thanks for the replies. But when using Safari on my new mac, I don't get either one of those suggested options when right-clicking on the Bing image. One possibility is to save the whole web page, but I want just the foto as a jpeg, not all the text and other stuff embedded on that page.

5. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Try Clicking on the picture and then drag it onto your desktop.
    Once you have it you can do what you want with it.

Opps ..... that's taking for granted that you are no longer using your browser full screen.
    S.

6. maputodave thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, but still not working

Thanks, Ashka, for the suggestion. I tried that and nothing. Have you actually used that technique? Or just assuming that it would work? When I used a Windows machine, that would have worked.

I'm beginning to think that Bing, as a Microsoft product, is deliberately designed to frustrate those using an Apple browser, Safari. Or maybe it's Apple that doesn't want that sort of collaboration with Microsoft. Either way, extremely childish.

To be clear, I'm using Safari on a new MacBook Pro, and trying to save the images on Bing as jpegs.

Anyone successfully do that?

7. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

1. Open Bing in Firefox. Now right click anywhere on the background image and click on view background image. When the image is displayed, click on save image as and save it at appropriate place on your computer.

2. If, for some reason, the above method isn’t working, then use this method. Open Bing in Firefox again. Go to Tools > Page Info, and click on the Media tab. Now click on the any link in the addresses box, the preview of image at this address will be displayed below. Scroll down through these images one by one until you find the bing’s background image. Once you see that image, click on the Save as button and save the image on your computer.
    [​IMG]

http://www.hacktrix.com/three-methods-to-download-bing-background-imageswallpapers

Also, Bing Image Archive from istartedsomething.com is excellent calendar listed with each day background image. Save from here.

8. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Have you set up the secondary tap (right click) in System prefs trackpad?

If it's the background picture that bing uses rather than the images available under "images " I can't find a way with Safari.

Note:
    As Bing decides that all New Zealanders live in Australia I wouldn't trust the rest of their results.. ie choice of Australia or the world with Australian backgrounds.. Lazy to say the least.

9. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Either there's something wrong with your Safari, or you're doing something wrong. I have no problems downloading Bing wallpapers from Safari. Both the method I provided above and the method suggested by Ashka work just fine.

Try creating a new user and seeing if you have any luck when logged in as the new user.

10. maputodave thread starter macrumors newbie

here's a screen shot

Taken a few minutes ago, showing the little menu I get when right-clicking on the Bing wallpaper image. None allow saving as a simple jpeg. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

11. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

That is not the Wallpaper download section of Bing. This is the right location:
    http://www.wallpaperdownloader.com/bing-wallpaper/images/name/Haiti_20091212

Right click that picture and select Save Image to Downloads Folder or Use Image as Desktop Picture.

12. maputodave thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, john doe 57

That works, thanks.

In my previous life as a PC, I used IE to download Bing images directly from the bing.com web page by simply right-clicking. There ought to be a way to do that in Safari, but apparently not.

You gave me an entirely separate web page, that I'm sure has no official connection to Bing. But it works for grabbing those nice images as jpegs, so thanks much.

13. alexlerock macrumors newbie

yes, thanks john doe 57

I didn't know about Bing wallpaper until browsing this site. I saved 20+ Bing pictures into my pictures folder which then would allow me to randomly view them via Preferences/Desktop.

But in viewing those pictures as desktop images (full screen), I found all of them to be of poorer sharpness than the images that came with my laptop, those in the other folders appearing in Preferences/Desktop.

Anyone else finding that? If so, any idea why that is?

Thanks.

14. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Probably because the picture is too small to cover the screen of your computer.

15. buddhiarts macrumors newbie

Take a screenshot

Take a screenshot of the image or the area of the image you want:

Command-shift-4 will give you a cursor with which you can size up the shot you want, as soon as you let go of the keys, the photo snaps and immediately appears on your desktop.