How To Download Gmail Contacts To iPhone4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JGC1986, Oct 19, 2011.

1. JGC1986 macrumors regular

JGC1986

Alright, I admit it, I have been using an Android phone for the last year or so (A Mototola Droid 2) and I am a newbie to the iPhone4s. :eek:

Basically, I want to know if there is a way to download my Gmail contacts to my iPhone without having to type in manually 150 plus names?

I know I can set my Gmail up as an excahnge account and have it sync calander/contacts, but I rather have them converted to my Apple account.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

By converted to your Apple account do you mean moved to iCloud?

This *should* work fine:
    Setup Gmail as Exchange, sync contacts, break the contacts sync and keep contacts on the phone.
    Setup iCloud contacts sync and they should now populate icloud.

3. Dunnie macrumors newbie

really easy .. in itunes there is a sync with gmail option. i was a droid user too ... btw ... the build on the droid is better ;-)

4. b24pgg, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

b24pgg macrumors 65816

I prefer Google Sync to iTunes Sync.

Set up Gmail as an Exchange account and you can choose what gets synced (mail, contacts, calendar). This way you don't have to connect to iTunes to sync, it will do it over the air instantly any time a contact is added/edited.

EDIT: just read the bottom of your post haha...disregard :eek:

5. JGC1986 thread starter macrumors regular

JGC1986

I downloaded them from Gmail to a vcf file, imported vcf file into macbook addressbook, then synced iPhone to that.

In case anyone else needs the solution to this!