How To Download & Install Windows 8 For Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Velin, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Velin macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2008
    Hearst Castle
    So a while back I purchased Windows 8 from Microsoft store, have the product key. But only the key, no media or DVD.

Now I have a new iMac, have a large USB, but no external or USB DVD drive, because no one is using optical drives anymore.

How the heck can I download Windows 8 from Microsoft from my machine running OSX? I didn't see any options for it when I logged into my MSFT account, only the ability to download a small .exe program, which I would then need a windows machine to run, which I don't have.

Will that small .exe be enough to download and install while setting up Bootcamp? Or do I need the full image of Win 8?

It's been awhile since I've used bootcamp, or any Microsoft Windows product. It's now confusing on how to do this using just a USB drive and a Mac. Also, really starting to hate Microsoft again, their instructions are atrocious, can't find anything on their stupid store.
  2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

May 1, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Is your key for Windows 8 Pro?

If Pro you can download the ISO from here.

Then use Bootcamp to turn the ISO into a bootable USB.

You will need the installation key from the above site.
    Then after its installed you use your genuine key to Activate.

After you install 8 you can login to your Microsoft Store account and upgrade to 8.1.

If you don't have Pro then just search for the ISO to Windows 8 standard and go through the same procedure.