How To Download & Install Windows 8 For Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Velin, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

So a while back I purchased Windows 8 from Microsoft store, have the product key. But only the key, no media or DVD.

Now I have a new iMac, have a large USB, but no external or USB DVD drive, because no one is using optical drives anymore.

How the heck can I download Windows 8 from Microsoft from my machine running OSX? I didn't see any options for it when I logged into my MSFT account, only the ability to download a small .exe program, which I would then need a windows machine to run, which I don't have.

Will that small .exe be enough to download and install while setting up Bootcamp? Or do I need the full image of Win 8?

It's been awhile since I've used bootcamp, or any Microsoft Windows product. It's now confusing on how to do this using just a USB drive and a Mac. Also, really starting to hate Microsoft again, their instructions are atrocious, can't find anything on their stupid store.

2. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Is your key for Windows 8 Pro?

If Pro you can download the ISO from here.
    http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/download-windows-8-pro/

Then use Bootcamp to turn the ISO into a bootable USB.

You will need the installation key from the above site.
    Then after its installed you use your genuine key to Activate.

After you install 8 you can login to your Microsoft Store account and upgrade to 8.1.

If you don't have Pro then just search for the ISO to Windows 8 standard and go through the same procedure.