how to download iTunes store purchases to a new computer?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ghanwani, Feb 7, 2010.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I just got a new hard drive and did a clean install. I also installed iTunes, but when I launch it, I can't see any option that allows me to download previously made purchases from the iTunes store.

Any ideas how to get it to do this?

I went to the Apple website and found this:
    http://www.apple.com/itunes/how-to/#store-storedownloads
    However, I do not see the option for "Check for Purchases..."
    under "Store" in my iTunes. I'm running WinXP.

Thanks,
    Anoop

2. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

From what I remember, this option only lets you download the files you haven't yet downloaded after purchase. The files you already finished downloading to your previous library are not available anymore - you'll either have to get them from your old hard drive or off your iPod.

3. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Yeah, you backed your music up, right? You need to copy them from your back up, you can't download them again.

If you haven't, email Apple and explain what happened and they will probably let you re-download everything. People say they only let you do this once though.

4. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Two options:
    a) get your library files and your music files off your existing computer.
    b) install iTunes on the new PC, hook up your iPod, on the warning "This iPod is synced to another library.." click Transfer Purchases. All your purchases on your iPod will be transferred to the new computer.

5. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies.

I thought iTunes would sync things between the 5 computers that I was allowed to register with it. I guess my understanding was incorrect. I don't own an iPod. Fortunately there was very little stuff in there. It's a good thing I caught the problem now. :D

Anoop