How to Download media files from my school

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TooL314, Feb 22, 2009.

1. TooL314 macrumors newbie

I'm in medical school and I can watch videos of my lectures online when I am on campus ONLY (I suppose it only allows certain IPs on the site.) This proves to be very frustrating because I have to commute an hour to campus just to watch the videos. I was wondering if there was a way to just simply go to campus and download the videos. (FYI I'm not sure if this is helpful but I have I just got the brand new macbook, I have quicktime pro but I could only get the video (no audio). to get audio I had to download windows media player. I had flip4mac and that would only give me video only as well, no audio. I've been told that only WMP will work by multiple people. I have XP under bootcamp if that is at all helpful. But once again I would just like to simply download the videos so that I no longer have to come to campus to get them. Please help.... thank you very very much

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

In bootcamp, can you right-click on the link and Save Target As ...

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'd talk to the school about it. I have no idea how they set it up so can't give advice. You can also ask the school to burn you a CD with the videos on it.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What format are they in? If you can save them to your disk, try VLC.

5. TooL314 thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately you can't just right click them in bootcamp. the school discourages downloading them in fear that you will share them with another medical school (not my intentions at all). as far as format, i wouldn't know how to tell. before using WMP as my default, using quicktime pro I was able to record the video with no audio while watching it. The file called itself GenerateDynamic Playlist for some reason (maybe that's part of the title of how the lecture was posted?) But if it is any easier, having them play and recording them in "real" time is an option because I can just go up to the school and put in the usual 10-15 hour study session and record them while I study. I figure if there is a way to take a picture of your screen and save that, is there a way to make a video of your screen?

6. TooL314 thread starter macrumors newbie

It uses a program called mediasite which I think is complicating things. When I click on a link it opens a new browser page and plays the video in part of the screen and presents slides and pictures in another. the slides and pictures arent necessary, i'm only after the video. But due to the format it makes me think that I will need to record it in some way as I did before with quicktime, but somehow incorporate the audio. Any help is greatly greatly appreciated. Thanks to those who have already tried....

7. zPolarBear macrumors newbie

Firefox has some addins that are supposed to pull out videos from certain types of web pages. I have never used them, but they should not be too hard to find and try. Once you grab them you can try the VLC and other suggestions here. Also, being Firefox, you can try it from BootCamp as well... Let us know if it works. :)

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you are going to watch it anyway, you can use
    SnapzProZ to record it for later reference.

or go to macupdate and search screen recorder
    you need something that also records the audio.