Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
WTF? This makes no sense. I guess American ears can't handle the superior music of other countries.:confused: I'm... WTF..I don't get it.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Exactly .. like the UK cannot see most music videos on YouTube right now cos of licences

Try other music sources like amazon, if not then you need to either get a UK account or sweet talk someone in UK to buy it for you (since its DRM free) but thats still technically on the naughty side

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Buy an iTunes gift card. Make sure you're signed out of your iTunes account. Change the country to UK. Create a new account (you'll need a different email address). Enter the details of the gift card. Buy music.

You'll be able to switch back and forward between accounts for purchases, but since music is now DRM-free you'll be able to play it in either account.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
WTF? This makes no sense. I guess American ears can't handle the superior music of other countries.:confused: I'm... WTF..I don't get it.

I'm all for pointing fingers at 'inferior music' but I hope that had a tiny bit of sarcasm in it...

Like others have said, get a UK gift card and set-up a UK account. Sucks, but unfortunately it's not a "stupid itunes" thing, as you have (wrongly) indicated.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
I'm all for pointing fingers at 'inferior music' but I hope that had a tiny bit of sarcasm in it...

Like others have said, get a UK gift card and set-up a UK account. Sucks, but unfortunately it's not a "stupid itunes" thing, as you have (wrongly) indicated.

Why would you add "wrongly" in parentheses when you already indicated that I was wrong by saying it's not a "stupid itunes" thing?:confused: Just curious...:rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Buy an iTunes gift card. Make sure you're signed out of your iTunes account. Change the country to UK. Create a new account (you'll need a different email address). Enter the details of the gift card. Buy music.

You'll be able to switch back and forward between accounts for purchases, but since music is now DRM-free you'll be able to play it in either account.

Are you saying that a US iTunes Gift Card can be used in other countries?

My BF loves music from other countries that is missing on iTunes US. He just does not want to have to go through hoops to buy the full album to get a track or two that he really wants. The other issue he/we face is that he has no computer or internet access in his own home! :eek:

DRM-free would be nice so that I could learn to share his interest in World music....

Montserrat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
UK
On a related topic - My brother lives in the US and is a big Mighty Boosh fan - what would happen if I bought him the TV series as a gift from here in the UK? Would he also have to set up a new account?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
On a related topic - My brother lives in the US and is a big Mighty Boosh fan - what would happen if I bought him the TV series as a gift from here in the UK? Would he also have to set up a new account?

Best thing you could do is buy him a UK gift card of a value big enough to cover the purchase of the entire series.

Another option would be to buy the DVD set and use something like Handbrake, though using that program in the USA is illegal AFAIK.

sysiphus

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
Are you saying that a US iTunes Gift Card can be used in other countries?

No. You have to buy a gift card for the country which has the store that you want to buy from. (I.E. if I want some Ayumi Hamasaki album that's only available in the Japan store, I buy a Japan giftcard and set up a JP itunes account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.