Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios93.jpg
Ahead of new software releases for iOS devices, Apple provides early copies to both developers and public beta testers to work out bugs and refine features. Major updates often include exciting new additions that people are eager to try out right away, such as iOS 9.3's Night Shift Mode and all of its other new features.

If you want to get your hands on iOS 9.3 ahead of its prospective spring public launch date, there are two legitimate ways to do it: a developer license or a public beta invitation. We'll outline both ways to get iOS 9.3 below, plus we'll include some instructions on downgrading in case you run into bugs.

Both those who sign up for a developer license and those who test betas through Apple's public beta testing program should use caution when installing beta software. It's called a beta because it's unfinished, and there are often significant issues and problems that can prevent apps and features from working, especially in the early beta testing process.

iOS 9.3, though relatively stable, should not be installed on a main iOS device that's used on a daily basis. Testing should be done on an extra device that can be easily wiped should something go wrong.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Download the iOS 9.3 Beta to Your iPhone or iPad

Reactions: Jackie_

sp3k0psv3t

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Miami, FL

ios93.jpg
Ahead of new software releases for iOS devices, Apple provides early copies to both developers and public beta testers to work out bugs and refine features. Major updates often include exciting new additions that people are eager to try out right away, such as iOS 9.3's Night Shift Mode and all of its other new features.

If you want to get your hands on iOS 9.3 ahead of its prospective spring public launch date, there are two legitimate ways to do it: a developer license or a public beta invitation. We'll outline both ways to get iOS 9.3 below, plus we'll include some instructions on downgrading in case you run into bugs.

Both those who sign up for a developer license and those who test betas through Apple's public beta testing program should use caution when installing beta software. It's called a beta because it's unfinished, and there are often significant issues and problems that can prevent apps and features from working, especially in the early beta testing process.

iOS 9.3, though relatively stable, should not be installed on a main iOS device that's used on a daily basis. Testing should be done on an extra device that can be easily wiped should something go wrong.

Done and done !!

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
There is actually the third way of getting the beta and that is the closed beta testing.

sam.walker22

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2010
So I've signed up to the beta program, but when I try download by pressing the 'download profile' button I get this error:

An error occurred while processing your request.

Reference #171.27623f17.1453925496.ea29761

I've tried signing in again, leaving beta and signing back up, resetting network settings on phone, clearing safari data and doing a hard reset??

JAK2015

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2015
Unless you want to rely only on the Developer web Site for support, do not install beta software.
Calling Apple for support will often be denied, referring you to the Developer site.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
I know they always put that disclaimer to install the beta on a separate device not on your main device. I've been installing beta on my main device since even before it was offered to the public beta. Never encountered a serious bug that makes your device unusable. Some minor bug is just little bit annoying but other than that life goes on. Besides iOS 9 feels like beta anyway so I'm installing my beta tester profile when I get home. Some 9.3 features is really promising and hoping to get some good night sleep tonight. Well see how that NightShift really helps and I hope it does.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
So I've signed up to the beta program, but when I try download by pressing the 'download profile' button I get this error:

I've tried signing in again, leaving beta and signing back up, resetting network settings on phone, clearing safari data and doing a hard reset??
Mine worked fine. I was part of the beta for Mac before hand. I just went to the iPhone side and choose to download the profile just now. It's currently downloading while I type this.

Unless you want to rely only on the Developer web Site for support, do not install beta software.
Calling Apple for support will often be denied, referring you to the Developer site.
I thought betas had full support lmao ;)

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Seriously. I did it once. And reverting back is a huge pain if you keep your device on the betas and keep updating to each new beta version.
I'm using 9.3 public beta 2. Once 9.3 GM is released, I'll uninstall the public beta cert and won't have to uninstall/reinstall anything else.

Reactions: lewismayell

elmateo487

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
I'm using 9.3 public beta 2. Once 9.3 GM is released, I'll uninstall the public beta cert and won't have to uninstall/reinstall anything else.

That's what I did. For 9.2. But somehow the profile was removed from my settings and I couldn't unregister the device without a full wipe. My best wishes that that doesn't happen to you.

Reactions: btrach144

NickolasAckley

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2015

ios93.jpg

[doublepost=1453929841][/doublepost]I've been on the public betas for a while now. It's cool. EverythingApplePro YouTube channel showed me how. It's easy. Never had any problems with the betas.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
If you aren't smart enough to figure out how to do it without this guide then you have no business running beta software.

Those that need a guide like this are the same people that complain when they have random bugs in a beta and can't understand why a BETA doesn't have the same stability or compatibility as a release version.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
If you aren't smart enough to figure out how to do it without this guide then you have no business running beta software.

Those that need a guide like this are the same people that complain when they have random bugs in a beta and can't understand why a BETA doesn't have the same stability or compatibility as a release version.

The guide is helpful. And I forgot about the public beta program so I'm glad they posted it. I am smart enough (but am not going to be snooty about it) to do it without the guide, but having the items out step by step on my mac made it a breeze.

flyingember

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011
That's not necessarily true

9.0 GM was followed by a slight update. It had the same version number but was a different build.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008

First, what else would be expected?

But also... you called Apple Support about a beta issue?
Wow. I wish I had your chutzpah.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
The instructions say that to archive a backup, right click on the backup and choose archive, but that doesn't work on a PC.

Does anyone know how to archive a backup on a PC? I've posted this to the apple community forum but have not received any replies.

I'd like to know this also, right clicking does nothing at all for me on win 10. I was all set to update to the beta until this, I don't want to update and find out I can't restore.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
The instructions say that to archive a backup, right click on the backup and choose archive, but that doesn't work on a PC.

Does anyone know how to archive a backup on a PC? I've posted this to the apple community forum but have not received any replies.
On a PC, you'll have to do a manual archive, by saving a copy of the backup directory.
On Vista or newer, go to "%APPDATA%\Apple Computer\MobileSync" and make a copy of the "Backup" directory. For safety (or perhaps out of paranoia ;)) I'd put the copy into a different directory.

If you need to restore, delete the existing Backup directory, and copy over your archived copy.

blake.ande

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2016
I've heard iOS 9.3.2 version is going to release to the public within next couple of weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.