Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Hi, How can I download embedded video from websites? I fI ctrl-click and select download link target.. then nothing happens, are then any programs which allow me to download videos from websites, even if the site is on a secure server.

Thanks

iindigo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco, CA
gangst said:
Hi, How can I download embedded video from websites? I fI ctrl-click and select download link target.. then nothing happens, are then any programs which allow me to download videos from websites, even if the site is on a secure server.

Thanks

Not sure about secure servers, but for normal ones just go to View > Source, search through the page's source, get the URL of the media, and use a downloader program (check Macupdate.com) to download it. If you have a direct link to the media, just enter it into your chosen downloader.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
no, doesn't seem to work, is it possible to load the page with the video then find it in safaris temporary files etc.??

ezkimo

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2002
What kind of movie are we talking about? If its a quicktime compatible movie, and you happen to have quicktime pro (not sure about the normal version, it might work too), you can click the little down pointing arrow on the movie control bar and save as source...

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
There was an article I read in a MacWorld about 3-4 months ago that went over this. I no longer have the magazine but I believe that the gist of it was to download this program called TinkerTool so you can make invisible files visible and finding a temporary file that is created when you download the video. You might want to do a search on MacWorld.com and see if the article is online.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Try opening your activity viewer (Window>Activity) and searching for the movie file in the list. Then option+double-click it. This will save it to your computer.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Switzermac said:
you need quick time pro to do that

To do which? The method I described doesn't require QT Pro. A lot quicker than digging through HTML source. And I did learn it from someone else on these forums!

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Switzermac said:
how come you are a regular and you have an avatar

Cuz I kick so much ass! ;)

No, I won an avatar contest a while back there. You'd think I woulda gone legit by now but I guess not!

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
UK
decksnap said:
Try opening your activity viewer (Window>Activity) and searching for the movie file in the list. Then option+double-click it. This will save it to your computer.

thanks for this, definatey the best method, works every time.

adityashah1989

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Is there a better way of doing this? For example I want to download the embedded video from this page. Real Player downloader does not recognize this video like it does for my youtube videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.