How to download Windows 7 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kim6ball, Feb 3, 2010.

1. kim6ball macrumors member

I'm trying to download windows 7. I'm in Firefox. I hit download.iso, a window pops up and says, "do you want to save this file?" I click yes. The download window opens and then Textedit opens with a bunch of weird language. What do I do. I've called the company and they don't help at all. They tell me to turn off my firewall, which it is. I appreciate any advice.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You have to burn the .iso file to DVD and boot from that to install Windows 7

3. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd try another browser. This isn't the first time I've seen MIME screw ups under OS X.

5. kim6ball thread starter macrumors member

Yes, they had a student promo. I know I have to burn it, but I can't download it. It won't download.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Then do what Eidorian suggested. Try it with Safari for example

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

When you download the .iso, right-click the link and select "Save link location" or whatever your browser says. That might help to keep it from trying to open upon download.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Have you tried downloading it with Safari?

Also try right clicking the link and selecting 'Save Link As...' or 'Download Linked File As...' with Safari.

9. kim6ball thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I've tried it with Safari. I tried all the things mentioned and it still doesn't work. Doesn't it actually have to download onto the computer before I can burn it to a DVD? Also, do you think I should call apple support? Thanks for your guys help.

10. BigHungry04 macrumors 6502

The link you're clicking on can only be opened in Windows. You have to download it in windows so reboot in to windows if you have it and then open the e-mail with the link in it and then download it, otherwise go to a computer that has windows and download it that way.

11. aneftp macrumors 68040

That $29.99 window 7 professional student deal from digital river was an unbelievable deal. That's the edition I am using to install Windows 7 legally on my Mac.

12. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

When you ever do get this download to work, here's the best way to burn the ISO

1. Download the ISO
    2. drag it into Disk Utility (without opening it)
    3. put a blank disk into your drive
    4. burn the ISO to the blank disc using Disk Utility
    5. Install Windows
    6. ???????
    7. Profit