Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac maniac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Hi, I've been using Real Player Downloader for the last year or so and that worked great, then used the real player's convertor to put the vids onto my iphone. But this stopped working a while back!

Last week I DL'd Tooble and this worked ok at first, I then paid and upgraded to the 'PRO' version which worked a couple times, and also enabled me to just save the audio side.... but now keeps coming up with error message D35. Just can not get it to work!!!

So I DL'd a youtube downloader program from the CNET website which basically took over my web browser with something else called Ask.com!!! Deleted that downloader and sorted the web browser problem out, but I'm still without a download program!

All I'm after is a program that enables me to DL the flash video onto my macbook and then onto my iphone. I'm not even bothered about the video just the audio and want to retain a good Sound Quality and bit rate from the file, instead of having it compressed from say 17mb down to 3.5 and ending up with a 112kbps or even worst 96kbps track!

Can anyone suggest a program (a seamless one would be great but I'll take anything that works!!)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you're using Safari, first try right-clicking the video to see if "Download Video" is an option. It should be if you're using the HTML5 trial.

If not, while viewing the video just click Window > Activity then identify the video in the list of elements (it will likely show something like "258K of 1.8MB" and will be the largest file on the list.
attachment.php
Hold the option key down and double-click the file to download.

mac maniac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Thanks for the swift replies gents!!! :cool:

I've tried the Activity Window but cant get the movie to save to hard drive, so tried KeepVid instead and thats worked fine.

Now question no.2!!....how do I convert from MP4 to MP3 but keep a decent bit rate (minimum 320kbps but much higher if possible?)

Just a shame Tooble has packed in as this did the job great!! ...and I paid for it :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave

mac maniac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008

Mate thats brilliant!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Thanks again for the help! Just checked and its been converted to 320kbps so I'm well happy with that!!

So I've used KeepVid to DL the file which got saved to MP4 in Quick Time
then converted to MP3 with All2MP3 which gave me a 320kbps audio track
and thats now in my itunes library!! How easy was that!!

Cheers Dave

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Mate thats brilliant!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Thanks again for the help! Just checked and its been converted to 320kbps so I'm well happy with that!!

So I've used KeepVid to DL the file which got saved to MP4 in Quick Time
then converted to MP3 with All2MP3 which gave me a 320kbps audio track
and thats now in my itunes library!! How easy was that!!
Glad it worked out for you! Also, Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.

Here are a few scripts that I've found particularly useful:

mac maniac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Thanks very much for the links! I'll take a look at these later from work..I could do with sorting out my itunes library as loads of songs arn't tagged and its a right pita to go through them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.