How to drop an iPad without breaking it.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by poloponies, Jan 6, 2012.

1. LeeM macrumors 6502a

2. poloponies thread starter macrumors 68030

Salesmanship is showmanship.

3. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Drop it face down into tile floor from about 15~20 cm and see it shatter. I saw one breaking right in front of me. Never thought that the iPad 2 was that fragile.

4. poloponies thread starter macrumors 68030

I've seen my wife do that - the dropping part, that is - a dozen times (can only imagine how many more times when I haven't been there). That's why I bought her a case on day 1. Ditto her iPhone. In an Otterbox Defender (she dropped her 4S into a sinkful of water the first week she had it).

5. LeeM macrumors 6502a

oh i dont dispute that, much better marketing if you drop it from space than the top of a tall building. just pointing it out

6. donnaw macrumors 65816

Last summer we rented a beach house on the coast. It had tile floors. My iPad was on the night stand (because that was the best outlet to use to charge).

My granddaughter was sleeping with me and she rolled off the bed (she's 3). When she rolled off I think her arm caught the iPad and it went down too. Hit flat on the screen on the tile floor. Not even a scratch. I'm quite sure it was because it hit flat and not on a corner.

7. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

I dropped mine and it landed face down on a concrete floor from about 1.4m recently. I didn't shatter, but it had a Smartcover on.

I suppose I was just lucky.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

I also noticed that the camera filming the iPad, and the locator beacon, also survived.

Reminds me of an old Jacques Cousteau (the underwater explorer) episode...

They were trying out SCUBA gear (when this was still newish technology - told you it was an old episode). They are heading down - down - down.... Cousteau's voice-over, with that lovely accent, is saying that he had now SCUBA dived deeper than anyone had every dived before.... And I looked at the picture and thought to myself... "no you're not - that videographer is pointing his camera up at you..." :)

9. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Two weeks after launch day My iPad 2 fell 8 inches off one counter onto a lower counter after the smart cover detached while in landscape position, screen cracked on corner impact, lucky for me the guy at the Genius Bar did a "one time replacement." I'd love to see a new iPad with a liquidmetal back and more shatterproof GorillaGlass.