how to edit a ipsw release type

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brandontod97, Aug 10, 2011.

1. brandontod97 macrumors newbie

i have the iOS 5 beta 5 ipsw. i made it into a zip file and i want to edit the release type but i can't find it in the folders. what i want to do is edit the release type so iTunes thinks that the ipsw is not a beta firmware. please help:confused::eek::apple:

2. Holmes093 macrumors 6502

Holmes093

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Can't he at least try? If nothing else, to amuse us a little on a Wed. afternoon.

4. Tech Elementz macrumors 6502

How can you start trying if you can't start no where?

5. brandontod97 thread starter macrumors newbie

look

if i read correctly that article is talking about jailbreaking i don't want to jailbreak i want to option+update in iTunes and do it that way. here is what i did i changed the extension from ".ipsw" to ".zip" i opened the zip file and i got a folder. then i opened the folder and looked at the plist files to see if it had the release type........ I'm trying to edit the release type! i want to change it from a beta release type to a normal release if you need me to send you the folder send me an email at brandon.tod97@yahoo.com

Attached Files:

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    Will make the day go by faster so why not:)

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

You can't modify the needed file as it has been compiled. Once iOS 5 has been installed the file can be reached. Hence the need to jailbreak to modify it.

8. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Apple protects the HELL out of these firmwares man. So, unless you are a VERY talented programmer, don't look to be able to do this.

This would take some moderate/advanced hacking and then some RIDICULOUS programming skills to pull that off. Besides, if you modified the file, it would essentially be jailbreaking anyways, which you said you don't wanna do.

Listen man, my point is that even if you are a semi talented programmer, there are a TON more programmers that are MORE talented and have tried and failed to do this.

If it was easy, there would he HUNDREDS of modified IPSW files out there that didn't require jailbreaking or UDIDs.

9. brandontod97 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for you help this was my first ever thread posted on this site and it was brilliant you guys are very helpful. @QuarterSwede thank you for explaining that the files has yet to be created until iOS is installed that was very helpful thank you all so much:):D:eek:;):rolleyes::apple::p

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

iOS software goes through a process with apple called "signing" where the software version is checked with Apple to make sure it is valid software...since apple is not yet signing non-beta versions of iOS 5, you can't trick the phone into thinking you have such a release, as it will never get the ok to install. The software knows that what you are trying to install does not yet exist

11. tygrubb, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011

tygrubb macrumors regular

Authentication to install a given firmware version happens on Apple's servers (or something pretending to be Apple's servers), not on the iTunes/phone side.

For normal releases, Apple signs what they deem the current version. To install older firmware, something has to pretend to be Apple's authentication server and you MUST already have saved your SHSH blobs (the authentication signature than only Apple can generate) for the specific version of the firmware you want to install that you saved back when Apple was still signing that firmware version.

For the beta, your individual device's UUID must be registered to a dev account with Apple. When you install the beta, the UUID is sent to Apple to have its eligibility determined before the appropriate signatures are produced. You'd have to have something that pretends to be Apple's dev authentication servers.

So either way, it's not a matter of changing the ipsw file, it's a matter of reproducing authentication from Apple. I consider doing so to install a previous version of firmware to be reasonable and legitimate. Trying to get an unauthorized copy of beta firmware that is covered under an NDA is not.

If you want iOS 5 Beta that badly, just pay up for a dev account, behave within the limits of the legal NDA contract that you signed, and do something constructive like filing bug reports. If I understand correctly, the part about editing the version info is so that it will activate on the cell network; the UUID authentication, which has to be circumvented for this to work, happens before the restore even takes place.

The beta is for developers to have apps ready for you and to do testing so that you have a reasonably bug-free experience when real deal is released. Until then, you have a very mature and stable version to run. This entire process is for your benefit. Why bite the hand that feeds you?

EDITED TO ADD:
    The link above does just that: faking authentication from Apple. I don't know from the description exactly how it's achieving it, but somehow SHSH blobs have to be obtained. If I understand correctly, the editing of the version info is for purposes of activating on the cell network; the UUID authentication happens before the firmware restore even starts.