How to edit autocorrect dictionary

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by staeit, Mar 17, 2012.

1. staeit macrumors member

OK, I have an iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1 - restored to factory and dictionary reset... and it STILL autocorrects "if" to "of" (and vice versa), as well as "so" <--> "do".

Can somebody please tell me what file on the iPhone is causing this to happen? I really want to modify it. I have iFile installed and ready to go, but am having trouble determining what to do in order to fix it. 90% of the time when it autocorrects those words, it does so incorrectly.

I can't believe such a simple bug STILL isn't fixed, even with the latest iOS release.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Why not just reset the keyboard's dictionary?

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think he already did that with the restore.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

Use notes and keep correcting it. It'll learn

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Not according to the research I just did. You have to do it in Safari or be jailbroke and edit a certain file:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_8477684_edit-autocorrect-iphone.html

6. staeit thread starter macrumors member

How will it learn? "if" and "of" are both proper English words, as are "do" and "so". I restored the phone and reset the dictionary - why on earth is the default setting to replace these two words? I can't be the only one who has noticed this; all of these words are far too common.

When trying to help, please ensure you actually read the first post. Thanks

7. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

It's actually more of a grammatical correction than anything else. The predictive text part of autocorrect analyzes your sentence and attempts to give you the best grammatical choice based on your input. There are errors in the way it is currently set up, however, as the phrase "I love you so much" by default will always autocorrect to "I love you do much", which is more of a run on and making much less sense than having the word "so" instead.

In short, yes, there are problems with it. The great thing about autocorrect is that it learns your personal electronic "accent", if you will, fairly quickly. After about a good week's worth of self-correcting the "do-so" miscorrection, it stopped swapping the two altogether for me. Mind you, I wasn't really paying attention to it while I was self-correcting, and I only say that it took a week because that was when I noticed it wasn't attempting to autocorrect that word anymore.

8. betterdays, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

betterdays macrumors member

Same here with French, unfortunately, because the new contextual auto correct is impressive and gets it right most of the time, but there are stubborn corrections I wish I could turn off or that the system would learn...
    Apparently some words are protected and the system will never learn from your pressing the X button 30 times a day.
    And then there's this obscure "spelling" toggle in the keyboard preferences, no matter what the state, I can't seem to understand what it's for. The auto-correct is obvious but spelling ? Spelling is corrected anyway even when it's off ?!
    And it's not even "grammar" since contextual corrections still occur when it's off.

EDIT : I just tried a few sentences with ifs and ofs, dos and sos, and none got replaced erroneously ?? Do you have specific examples so we can check ?

9. barryl85 macrumors regular

10. betterdays macrumors member

My car makes a noise when I change gears.
    "why not leave it in the garage and walk 50 kilometers ?"

I hope you see the point. Avoiding the problem is not a solution.

11. barryl85 macrumors regular

It is when you know apple wont fix it. So the work around is actually thee solution to your problem.

That's like putting that car in to be repaired knowing they aren't going to touch it.

12. Msmichls macrumors newbie

Found this solution on another forum. I don't know who said it though.
    "Go to Settings--General--Keyboard--Add New Shortcut

Put the CORRECT word in the phrase spot and the misspelled word in Shortcut spot. Every time you type the word the phone wants to autocorrect with the misspelled word, it will automatically default to the CORRECT spelling! It doesn't remove the word from the dictionary, but it beats the phone at its own game!"

This works. Example: Huggies -- Hugg

13. MLG macrumors regular

This is probably one of the biggest shortcomings on iOS, in my opinion...the lack of a personalized, correctable learning dictionary. Android has a big advantage on iOS in this regard. It boggles my mind why Apple still won't add this feature...it drives me nuts to have to correct it from messing up names, stock names, abbreviations, etc. Yes, you can get around it by using the shortcuts, but there really should be more learning and adaptation by the software out of the box.